Nikon D700x / D800

by on July 23, 2008

in Nikon,Rumors

It didn’t take long after the announcement of the Nikon D700 for rumors of the next big thing to take center stage.  Aside from the Nikon D3x and D90 rumors, many sites and forums have begun to report on rumors of a Nikon D800 at 24+ megapixels.  I’m not sure where the Nikon D800 rumors began; however, there doesn’t really seem to be any credible evidence thus far.

Most of the info on the Nikon D800 seems to come from Nikon Rumors, who to their credit have been digging up mocked up images and rumors from their readers.  However, this recent entry shows off some copy take from the September issue of Chasseurs d’Images.  The article seems to discuss (it’s in French) the coming Nikon full frame camera in light of the Sony A900, which is bound to be announced around Photokina.  The article mentions the Nikon D800:

dont celle d’un Nikon D800, qui n’est pas qu’une rumeur.

Google’s translator says this means:

including a Nikon D800, which is not just a rumor.

However, at least one human translator says the end phrase should translate as:

. . . which is nothing more than a rumor.

Anyone that’s fluent in French feel free to clear this article up a bit in the comments below.

UPDATES

2/3/09: Rumors of a PMA 2009 release to compete with the 5D Mark II.  Read more.

1 Fabien July 23, 2008 at 1:30 am

“including a Nikon D800, which is not just a rumor.”
is the right translation.
It’s also written that the Sony 24 Megapixel Full frame Sensor may be found inside other cameras “including a Nikon D800, which is not just a rumor.”

2 chelmi July 23, 2008 at 2:00 am

The appropriate translation is definitely “which is not just a rumor.”

The french for “which is nothing more than a rumor” would be “qui n’est qu’une rumeur” or “qui n’est rien de plus qu’une rumeur”.

The full sentence says :
“We expect to see it’s [speaking of the a900] sensor in other bodies… amongst which the Nikon D800, which is not just a rumor”.

3 Dynax7 July 23, 2008 at 2:20 am

Gee… This story has been cleared up in Nikon Rumors comments long ago.

I am definitely French and I can definitely tell you that “qui n’est pas qu’une rumeur.” translates into “which is not just a rumor”.Period.

Thanks for sharing the info ;)

4 Antoine July 23, 2008 at 3:43 am

Hi !
I’m french, “dont celle d’un Nikon D800, qui n’est pas qu’une rumeur.” means “including a Nikon D800, which is not just a rumor.”.
Chasseur d’image is one of the biggest photo magazine in france (or the biggest).

5 Enrique Vidal Vijande July 23, 2008 at 6:15 am

The human translator is right. However I can see how its easy for the Google translator to confuse the terms.

6 Enrique Vidal Vijande July 23, 2008 at 6:20 am

Actually, the article says that the “D3x” will in fact not use that brand. At the bottom of the article there is a mention to the 24Mpx D800 but then dismisses is as “only a rumor”

7 hop July 23, 2008 at 11:23 am

I’m french and the right translation is the first (which is not just a rumor).

The human translator is WRONG ;)

8 pikkell July 23, 2008 at 8:56 pm

I’m from Quebec (Canada) and am married to a French woman.

Correct translation: “…nothing but a rumour”

9 Franck July 24, 2008 at 4:34 am

I’m French too, and I do confirm “which is not just a rumor” too. Enrique, Google translator is right this time, and did not confuse terms, sorry :-)

10 Hulk July 24, 2008 at 7:26 am

In the same magazine, same page, there is a text about Canon, and its author is really not optimist about Canon’s hability to show up at Photokina with a rival body to D700 or D900.

11 Kachaner July 25, 2008 at 3:25 pm

I’m French also and I’m a reader of Chasseur d’Images since couple of decades. I can’t remember any example where they were wrong about what they says.

12 Adam August 4, 2008 at 7:54 am

“…qui n’est pas qu’une rumeur” = “…which is not just a rumour”
“…qui n’est qu’une rumeur” = “…which is just a rumour”

I don’t know – the whole sense of the phrase being changed by adding a single word. That’s so typical of the French language.

What do you mean, English is just as bad? :)

13 Maximilian September 3, 2008 at 8:13 am

Hi everybody,

Please don’t be offended, and I know I’m kinda late, but reading this thread made me laugh. Typical of the Internet :-)

Let’s recap:

So we have two guys, one called “Antoine”, the other “Fabien” (sounds French, doesn’t it?). Also we have a couple of other people who explicitely say they’re French. Wouldn’t this lead one to believe we have a bunch of actual, real, 100%, original French people here? And they all give the exact same translation of a French sentence. Unequivocal – absolutely no doubt about it.

*Hours later* a guy with a Spanish-sounding name pops in and claims the opposite. No offense please – I’m Italian, and I know that the name by itself doesn’t mean a thing. French may still be his mother tongue. But it does make me grin anyway :-). Same thing with another guy, whose qualification is that he’s married to a French-speaking lady. Now this is a good thing, of course, congratulations! But how can you assume this fact makes people believe your knowledge of French is better than those French guys’?

Really funny :-)

OK, that was it, sorry about that intermezzo.

Ciao ragazzi, fate i bravi.

M.

14 Olivier September 23, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Good Conclusion Maximilian.
I am fench like many other guys who posted here and no offense to the Canadian but the right translation is: “which is not just a rumour”

If you read the article quickly, it can be misleading

15 bruno October 2, 2008 at 2:56 pm

I’m french, and i confirm that the right sentence is : which is not just a rumor”
By the way i want to the FNAC (shop in France) today and a seller told me that a D800 would probably arrive within 3 to 4 month (from a nikon source.) Don’t know if it’s true.

16 lolwut October 21, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Um.. who cares about the translation. It’s a fake. Yes the D800 will be next in line…. No this picture is not real, therefore, making the whole thing a fake.

Common people… who makes a body with the vertical buttons without the vertical grip? Think about it.. would Nikon be that stupid?

17 Slappy October 23, 2008 at 10:00 am

Personally, I’m a fan of the two lens release buttons and the two depth of field preview buttons.

18 Kevin November 17, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Uhm, I’m not French. But for lolwut, I know exactly that Nikon D3 has vertical buttons without the grip?

19 Peter K Burian November 20, 2008 at 6:43 pm

It means nothing but a rumor.

n’est pas que MEANS nothing but

20 Melomind February 3, 2009 at 11:59 am

Is it so vital whether it’s a rumor or not just a rumor?! Will it affect your today’s photography?! LOL Total OffTopic =)))

21 MaX in MD March 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm

I’m looking to purchase a D700 to upgrade my gear.
If I’m going to invest in a D700, why would not consider a D3?
Your thoughts.

22 AC in USA November 29, 2009 at 10:06 am

Who cares about french anything.

23 Roderick November 29, 2009 at 8:02 pm

@AC in USA: Yes, you must be from the Excited States of America.

24 Dave Johnson January 23, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Many are waiting for the Nikon D700 REPLACEMENT. The Canon Mark 5DII capabilities and price must be countered by Nikon! We care about what the French and all the rest of the world thinks. 1080 video can be really amazing. I own movie cameras. I have also owned some amazing high end still film cameras. Yet looking back on my images…some of the best shots were taken with Nikons. Big format might look good on a wall sized prints. I ran out of walls for that many years ago. I can walk into large photo labs and airports and see some of my photos….but for many today it matters how they look on a 40 to 55 inch HDTV screen, or a page in a pro photo book. Some of the world’s best looking images ever taken were taken on 35mm and would look just as great shot on a Nikon D700, D90, or hopefully the D700 replacement.

25 Joseph Francis February 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Well, I’m not French, and I haven’t had French since high school, but I read that phrase as… ‘which is not BUT a rumor’

in other words, ‘is nothing more than a rumor’

fwiw

26 Francesco Cacudi May 28, 2010 at 6:17 am

The exact translation, sorry for somebody else, is that “it’s just a rumor”. Otherwise it would be worded “qui n’est pas SEULEMENT un rumeur”

27 Adindeu August 23, 2010 at 2:07 am

Yucckkkks ! The above picture is ugly. I own D2X and cannot imagine how you can grip comfortably with that kind of vertical grip profile! The front portion of the vertical grip is just plain un-gripable !!

28 Sergio October 18, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Ha! I’m not French or do I know any French and I say it translates to, “which is not just a rumour” because I want it to ;-)

29 rick November 10, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Funny how this camera was suspected over a year ago, and still not announcement. Now NikonRumors.com is saying spring of 2011.

Anyone know if they held back the camera from production in order to pack it with more features, or if people just got the date wrong? Either way, Based on the advances in the D7000, I’m sure the D800 will be a much anticipated, and eagerly sought after product.

Saving my dollars….

30 david distefano November 26, 2010 at 10:01 pm

the book everyone talks nikon d800 about is still on amazon.com uk but they have a new release date of may 4 2011

31 Eugene Heeger December 28, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I am a Canadian….and not from Quebec! They lost their french accents and french grammar centuries ago, when they settled in Upper Canada and were colonized by the British. I would not count on Quebec french or Quebec english for any translation. They can neither speak or translate either language correctly! I suggest that we all go with the GOOGLE translation! hehehe!!!

{ 2 trackbacks }