B&H has the Canon Rebel SL1 for $499 (reg. $599). The deal includes a free SanDisk 16GB Class 10 SDHC card and camera bag, along with 2% rewards. Check it out here at B&H Photo.
Canon announced last week that it has manufactured 250 million digital cameras since it first introduced the EOS DCS 3 to the market in 1995.
Notably though, it didn’t pass the 100 million unit mark until 2008 – back when the 40D and Rebel XSi were hot stuff, and just as the 5D Mark II was introduced. In 5 short years, Canon broke the 200 million unit mark in December 2013. Just over a month later, on January 31, 2014, Canon hit the 250 million threshold thanks to an introduction of several new compact cameras like the PowerShot G1 X Mark II and PowerShot N100. Canon also points out that 50 million of those digital cameras are interchangeable lens cameras, which would encompass EOS DSLRs, mirrorless and cinema cameras.
Canon has since introduced the Rebel T5 and we expect at least a couple more DSLRs this year, along with several more point and shoot cameras.
You can read the full press release from Canon below. [Read more...]
Canon’s instant rebates (up to $500 off) end this coming Saturday, March 1. The instant rebates include the Canon 70D and 5D Mark III, along with most of the Canon Rebel line. Check them all out here at B&H Photo.
While the camera is certainly an upgrade over the Rebel T3 it replaces, the specs should look familiar to anyone who has looked closely at the Rebel line over the past few generations. The Rebel T5 has an 18MP CMOS sensor, DIGIC 4 image processor, 1080p video, a 3″ LCD and 9-point AF system.
The Rebel T5 is priced at a very reasonable $549.99 with the EF-S 18-55mm IS II kit lens and should be available starting in March. Check it out here at B&H Photo.
The latest rumors suggest that the next Canon DSLR coming to us will be an entry-level model situated below the Canon Rebel SL1 and will be showcased at CP+ next month.
Recall that the Rebel SL1 was announced in March 2013 and turned out to be a fantastic little camera. I liked it so much that I bought one for myself. It is a great camera to carry when paired with the EF 40mm f/2.8 ST lens.
I look forward to seeing if Canon will continue this new compact line, or if this will be more like an update to the very low-end Rebel T3.
Canon has issued a firmware update for the Rebel T5i.
Firmware Version 1.1.3 incorporates the following fixes.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera displays Err01 or Err60, or in rare instances will lock-up when in Live View shooting mode (or Movie shooting mode) when attached to the following STM zoom lenses: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.
- Corrects some Korean language misspellings displayed on the menu screen.
You can download the firmware update here on Canon’s website.
B&H has 7 great deals on cameras and lenses that expire this Saturday, January 4, 2014. Check them all out below.
1. Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens for $1699 (reg. $2299). This low deal price is after instant and mail-in rebates. Click “More Details” & add $300 MIR to receive $600 savings.
2. Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens for $319 (reg. $419)
3. Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens for $299 (reg. $399)
4. Canon Rebel T5i w/ 18-55mm IS STM lens for $699 (reg. $899)
5. Sony A77 with 18-135mm lens for $1098 (reg. $1398)
7. Canon PowerShot ELPH 530 HS for $99.99 (reg. 319)