Just when we thought rumors had died off for the Canon 5D Mark II and 1D Mark IIIn, up crops another over at the FredMiranda.com forums. This one seems pretty weak on its face; however, Yakim (the poster) has been around for quite some time and generally has a pretty good ear to the ground for upcoming gear. Still yet, take it with a grain of salt.
5D Mk II.
1D Mk III N.
2 new lenses.
The source is an old Israeli photographer which shoots Nikon, has a vast collection of Nikon equipment and has some internal knowledge in Nikon and Canon (a little). FWIW, he is well respected in Israel and is considered a reliable source.
For more on each of these cameras, see Photography Bay’s Canon 5D Mark II page and Canon 1D Mark IIIn page.
With the recent hoopla over Nikon’s new D3 and with the Canon 1D Mark III autofocusing issues, it shouldn’t come as a huge surprise that Canon shooters are calling for an all-out replacement of the camera with a new iteration of the camera. Well, the rumors weren’t too far behind. That’s right, rumors of a 1D Mark IV or Mark IIIn have started to rear their ugly head. Here’s some of the rumored specs floating around the web:
- Same form factor as current 1D series
- Full Frame 16MP sensor (no more 1.3x crop cameras)
- ISO 100 to 6400 (expandable to 50 and 12800)
- Live View with contrast detection AF and HD Video capture (It is rumored that this will revolutionize photo journalism and meet growing requirement for web news video and cross media feeds).
- Capable of capturing stills from HD Video (but only at 2MP resolution)
- 1.3x crop mode with viewfinder masking and reduced size RAW (10MP) with significantly improved buffer for cropped RAW images
- 10 fps
Time will tell, but this could be out by Fall 2008. Photokina anyone?
As always, I’ll keep you posted.
2/22/09: More rumors of a 16MP sensor, no dates yet. Read more.
2/10/09: 1D Mark III replacement will not appear at PMA 2009. Read more.
2/2/09: Rumors of PMA 2009 release. Read more.
5/1/08: Rumored June announcement along with the Canon 5D Mark II. Read more.
[tags]canon, 1d, mark, iiin, iv, rumor, af, autofocus, nikon, d3[/tags]