GoPro announced some pretty exciting stuff for the POV market at NAB 2012. A new firmware upgrade for the GoPro HERO2 called Protune adds 24p and 35Mbps data rate to the HERO2. In partnership with Technicolor, the new Protune update adds the ability to shoot with a flat Cinestyle developed by Technicolor.
More details in the press release below.
HALF MOON BAY, CA & HOLLYWOOD, CA, – (April 17, 2012) – GoPro, the world’s most versatile camera, and Technicolor, a worldwide leader in technology and color-science, announced today at the NAB 2012 Show in Las Vegas they have worked to embed Technicolor’s CineStyle™ color profile for the debut of the new GoPro Protune™ (a free firmware upgrade available here for the HD HERO2 camera.
- 24fps frame rate, enabling GoPro HERO2 content to be easily intercut with other sources without a frame rate conversion;
- 35Mbps data rate for the industry’s highest quality compressed image with virtually zero artifacts;
- Neutral color profile, allowing for greater flexibility in a color correction workflow;
- Log curve encoding, offering more detail in shadows and highlights;
- Reduced sharpening and noise reduction for improved flexibility in professional post- production and color design workflows.
Seamless Integration with GoPro CineForm Studio
GoPro Protune mode makes integration with GoPro CineForm Studio simple, automatically detecting Protune settings and applying the default adjustments to create stunning images. The workflow is further enhanced by a variety of color tuning presets, or ‘looks’ that further enhance the filmmakers’ story.
Using Protune with GoPro CineForm Studio Premium and GoPro CineForm Studio Professional provides additional benefits, offering extensive color correction controls and customizable presets to create professional, cinematic looks from the GoPro HERO2 captured content. Non-destructive 3D LUTs provide even more flexibility, enabling users to further tweak their images, manipulate saturation and contrast and color correction controls to create highly stylized content.