Nikon D800 vs. Hasselblad H4D-40

by on April 21, 2012

in Gear

D800 vs H4D-40

Wanna see how the 36MP Nikon D800 stacks up against the 40 MP medium format Hasselblad H4D-40?  Check out the video below for a real-world shooting comparison of the two cameras.

[via Fstoppers]

1 Leo April 22, 2012 at 4:21 am

Ha ha roll on the side =)

2 Eric Eikenberry April 27, 2012 at 12:15 am

Were they shooting the D800 in 12-bit or 14-bit color? Adobe or SRGB?

3 John MacLean Photography April 28, 2012 at 3:46 am

Eric,

It’s RAW. The in-camera color space is irrelevant.

JM

4 Mike April 27, 2012 at 12:59 am

The best camera review I think I’ve seen! Thank you for your honesty and desire to see how the cameras truly compared to one another, knowing th limitations of each before hand.

Gratefully Yours
Mike B

5 Shane April 29, 2012 at 10:05 am

Og course there gonna b boist they shout hassleblad and canon

And it doesn’t state was the Nikon shot in adobe rgb where it would have got more skin tone colours etc or 12 or 14bit your man even said how high did the Nikon go he didn’t even know a basic setting come on like

6 Tom Chmara May 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Interesting test; good to see the honest appraisal – but there were a couple of details absent. I have to assume they ran at 14-bit RAW (but it’s a bit disquieting that they didn’t mention it). The comparison regarding ‘skin tones’ was also interesting – as apparently they never considered using any other RAW converter than the one in the LR 4.1 (beta, no less). Given the converter can make a huge difference in the outcome – perhaps the whole demo was, maybe, a bit premature?

7 Robert Park July 2, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Very good review. It was apples to apples which is important.

I have the H3dII-50 and purchased the D800 weeks ago. I would have to say that I agree with the findings except for 1 major issue. I did the similar tests with the 50 vs 80mm prime and on that measure the Nikon was close to the Hassy only in the center of the frame.
When I tried the 24-70 Nikkor vs my 35-90 HCD is was all over. The Nikon zoom is in no way near the ball park in comparison. Granted the 35-90 is 4x the cost and enormous but the Nikon just falls apart with any of the zooms I tried. Being a landscape shooter corner performance is important to me especially when I am stitching for a pano.

This is an issue that can be fixed by Nikon with improved glass however I would assume that people are not going to want to pay the dues for a zoom that is in the class of the 35-90 HCD.

Now if Hasselblad could lighten this tank of a stainless clad workhorse I would be ecstatic.
For the price it could be titanium.

8 Eric Reagan July 3, 2012 at 12:39 am