The Panasonic Lumix S3 and S1 are a pair of new compact cameras introduced at CES 2011. The Lumix S3 features a 14.1MP sensor, 4x optical zoom lens with image stabilization, and the ability to capture 720p HD video. The Lumix S1 offers the same 4x zoom lens with image stabilization and 720p video capture, but steps down to a 12.1MP sensor.
As typical, Panasonic will announce pricing and availability at a later date.
More details in the press release below.
Panasonic Lumix S3 and S1 Press Release
LAS VEGAS, NV (January 5, 2011) – Panasonic today announced the new LUMIX S-Series digital cameras, the LUMIX DMC-S3 and LUMIX DMC-S1 – two easy-to-use models that offer smart features, making them ideal for users wanting an extremely intuitive experience for taking high-quality photos and 720p (at 30fps) High Definition videos. The 14.1-megapixel LUMIX S3 and 12.1-megapixel LUMIX S1 also feature a new design, with a distinct rounded shape that fits comfortably in the palm of the hand, to differentiate the models from the rest of the LUMIX line. With a 28mm* wide-angle 4x optical zoom lens, these entry-level LUMIX digital cameras are extremely versatile, helping consumers get superb shots both far and wide.
“With Panasonic’s new LUMIX S-Series, we are giving consumers really intuitive digital cameras that provide smart features for users who simply want to take exceptional photos and videos,” said David Briganti, Senior Product Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. “In addition to advanced features like a 28mm wide-angle lens and HD video, the S-Series also offer a simple solution for sharing videos and photos on popular sites such as YouTube and Facebook.”
Both the LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 feature Panasonic’s Intelligent Auto (iA) mode to help ensure these models are extremely intuitive. Panasonic’s iA mode is a suite of technologies that engage automatically – with no setting changes needed by the user – makes it easy for anyone to take beautiful photos. Features include:
- MEGA OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) – Helps reduce blurry photos due to hand-shake.
- Intelligent ISO Control – Detects the speed of the subject’s movement and determines the right combination of ISO sensitivity and shutter speed to help prevent motion blur.
- Face Detection – Helps to ensures registered faces are captured in focus with appropriate exposure and unwanted red eyes are digitally corrected**.
- Intelligent Scene Selector – Selects the best option from Macro, Portrait, Scenery, Night Portrait, Night Scenery and Sunset by detecting the environment.
The LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 are powered by the high-performing Venus Engine VI image processor, which accounts for their fast response times and image quality. The shutter release time lag is approximately .007 (S3) / 0.008 (S1) per second.
Photos and videos recorded on the LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 can easily be shared with friends and family via the LUMIX Image Uploader. The user simply connects the camera to a computer (no software needed), checkmarks the photos they want to share and it will prompt a step-by-step menu to upload photos to Facebook. For videos, the same processes will be prompted, but will upload to YouTube.
Other features of the LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 include:
- 2.7-inch large Intelligent LCD which automatically adjusts the screen brightness as the surrounding brightness level changes, ensuring easy visibility at all times.
- The built-in memory of 70MB (DMC-S3) and 20MB (DMC-S1) and a rechargeable lithium-ion battery.
Pricing and availability for the Panasonic LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 will be announced 30 days prior to shipping date. The LUMIX S3 will be available in blue, red, black and violet while the LUMIX S1 will be available in blue, black, gold, pink and silver.