Canon EVIL Camera Coming Soon?

by on November 29, 2009

in Canon

Canon EVIL Camera

The guys over at 4/3 Rumors say that a reliable source has tipped them on the upcoming introduction of a Canon EVIL (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens) camera, saying that it’s going to be announced soon.

Seeing as how Canon’s big tradeshow presence will only be at CES in early-January 2010 (and not at PMA 2010), this camera would be expected during the first week of January.  If Canon isn’t dropping any major DSLR releases, the move to CES alone starts to make a little more sense if this EVIL camera turns out to be real.

An EVIL camera from Canon would almost certainly be a more mass market device than even the entry-level EOS DSLRs like a Rebel T1i or Rebel XS.  The CES audience is clearly a more mainstream tech audience – and the event garners a much broader coverage base, including spots from major network news sources.

I’m not letting Canon off the hook for their PMA absence yet; however, this may help connect the dots if it turns out to be legit.

[via 4/3 Rumors]

1 Hamza November 29, 2009 at 11:22 am

Wow.
If canon does this then Olympus and Panasonic might be out of business, or shocked atleast.
Cuz this canon will be cheaper than panasonic, panasonic is an expensive brand and canon will have better built quality, cuz panasonic feels kinda plasticy

But I m waiting for the 1Ds mk4

2 Sky November 30, 2009 at 2:58 am

well – agreed about everything but the build – the Canon stuff feels plasticy too, even DSLRs are made of cheap plastic so I have no idea how they would make well-build and cheap EVIL.

3 andyash November 30, 2009 at 3:19 am

Well, to be exact, Samsung is also a player on the micro-field with their NX series.

4 Roderick November 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Hmmm, given their position in the industry, do you believe that Canon feels any need to spend a bucket full of money to develop a new system? I’m not sure that Olympus or Panasonic pose any threat to Canon as together they appear to have gone after a particular niche(or develop the niche) based upon the 4/3 sensor.

That said, I agree with Hamza to some extent in that Canon would worry Olympus and Panasonic.

Anyone: do Olympus and Panasonic hold some patent/copyrights related to the 4/3 format? If so, that might preclude Canon from developing a directly competing 4/3 format system of their own.

5 ossme December 1, 2009 at 12:30 pm

that seems like a replacement to the 1000d series where photographers look for something small and some what pocketable.

6 Larabee December 2, 2009 at 12:38 am

Canon should stick to photocopiers.

7 Jan Bielawski December 4, 2009 at 2:39 pm

This is very good news but it better be APS-C size.

8 GizmoGuy January 9, 2010 at 8:20 pm

>>> This is very good news but it better be APS-C size.

Totally Agree. I’d love to see an APS-C EVIL from Canon with their SLR lens mount. Better yet, I’d like to see a full frame EVIL about the size of a Yashica T4 with the EF/EF-S lens mount.

9 Wayan Jens January 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Anyone who uses a camera worth less than $5 grand is an amateur.

10 dick ranes January 29, 2010 at 5:20 pm

An aps-c based evil camera that utilizes ef mount lenses would be a terrific
addition to the Canon product line. They have the body (G10/Gll), the sensors and software to make a dynamite product – if they have the will. It would canibalize sales of digital rebel and higher end powershot lines, but make a difficult entry level obstacle for Nikon (unless Nikon beats them to it.)
A little stiff competition for the new Leica X1 would be welcome with a short barrel pancake “normal” lens for pocket shooters. Great idea…which means
the marketing gurus at Canon will probably pass.

11 Mike September 8, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Won’t hurt Panasonic at all. Panasonic uses Leica lenses which are great. Having said that and owning a Panasonic I would definitely buy one of these. I like my Canon dSLR cameras. For film I still use Nikon. Oh for Wayan’s statement. I have been a professional for 40 plus years and my 35mm cameras all are less expensive. Meduim format is a different story.