arrow11 Comments
  1. Ilan
    Jul 20 - 11:09 am

I must say, after having these lenses –
    Nikon 18-55mm
    Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Nikon 18-200mm and Nikon 70-210mm, I found that the best one to suit me, on my daily street walks, is mainly the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. It cheaper than the Nikon 17-55mm (cheaper by far) and weight less. I’m thinking of maybe trying the 10-24mm but it’s just way to expensive…

Here is a shot from Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 – http://www.ilanbresler.com/2009/07/morning-ritual.html

2. Jacob
    Jul 20 - 1:42 pm

The best lenses to learn on are cheap manual lenses. You can get a nice f/1.8 or f/1.7 for under $50 (in general). They’re built like tanks, and won’t break the bank.

3. Bit
    Jul 20 - 4:28 pm

For Olympus… I would highly recommend the Olympus ZD 50-200mm SWD 2.8-3.5 lens instead of the Sigma, nearly the same price and MUCH MUCH sharper weather sealed and SWD AF, a little more zoom range… also can serve as a 50mm 2.8 portrait lens in a pinch

while only losing the constant Aperture… by merely 2/3rd of a stop at the long end

4. Bit
    Jul 20 - 4:35 pm

also… have to comment about the “not many fast lens” part… quite a few Constant F2 wide angle and mid-tele lens, and constant F2.8 long tele… pretty much the entire ultra high grade line up….. they just cost an arm and a leg and normally outside most users budget.

5. Chuck
    Jul 20 - 9:10 pm

The lens that I enjoy is the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM. This Lens opened up my eyes to seeing a total difference in taking photos in low light situations. The Lens is remarkable with clarity along with smooth Fast AF.
    Comfortable to have on my Cannon XS Rebel, makes taking photos especially at family events a real joy. Strongly recommend this as the upgrade from the kit lens to truly see all that your investment can offer.

6. Jakub Urbanec
    Jul 21 - 1:32 am

You are right. After purchasing 50mm lens for my Canon, I changed the way I shoot pictures. f/1.8 are incredibly cheap lenses for both Canon/Nikon and deliver great images. One learns quite a lot about DoF with 50mm. I ended with f/1.4 USM, but I believe the only REAL difference between f/1.4 and f/1.8 lenses is the autofocus speed – not the quality of the picture it delivers :-)

As for composition – the wider lens, the better. The wide lens forces you to think twice about composition – be it 18-55 kit lens or 16-35 beast ;-)

I force my friends to buy 50mm f/1.8 – c’mon it is for the price of better polariser filter for my 70-200mm now :-)

7. Micah
    Jul 21 - 3:07 am

Please don’t forget about the Sigma 20/1.8. It’s awesome on crop and 35mm sensors. And sharp! Buy em so they keep making them!

-Micah

8. George E. Norkus
    Jul 24 - 1:13 am

Back in the 60′s it was the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2, (hey, it came with the camera!) In the eighties when I switched to Pentax and just had to get another 50mm f/1.2 and as you mentioned for other lenses, it’s built like a M1-A3 tank!

Great lenses!

Sure I had other lenses but the 50′s were the first and the best.

9. Laura Twining
    Jul 24 - 9:31 am

The lens system that has helped me the most…Lensbaby Composer. Having a LB with my Nikon forced me to get out of program and only use manual. With the various additional options that are available, such as the Optic Kit–using magnets directly on the lens with different aperture sizes has helped me learn what shutter speeds are needed to get the shot. While my learning curve was high–the journey has been MORE than worth it! Try one out and I bet you’ll buy it before you know it!

Best wishes!

10. Gary Loh (Malaysia)
    Jul 24 - 11:16 am

I started my photography in 2006, using body A200, Sony lens SAL1870 and SAL70300. Later, my body had internal dust, while changing the lens, then i bought the DT18250 and body A700, which i find more convenients. Then i bought another lens DT1116.
    My personal experience, after a year plus photography, i feel a little regret having DT1116, because i hardly used it.
    But I personally recommend the DT18250 for beginers and much more practical. With this only one lens, i can shoot almost everything. So that after a while i can check the data, my habit of photography, what lens i needed most. (Actually with this lens, i am very satisfied already).
    Later after 2>3 years, having extra money, then only i started to fuss of this lens 18250, lack of detail, lack of brightness and the zooming.
    Then mid of this 2009, i bought the Sony Zeiss 1635z, G70200. This both lens is SSM built in motor, so that at times when our lens lean to the fence, it will not out of zoom. Quiet, Smooth and f2.8. This both lenses really give me the very very satisfying pictures.
    Whatever it is, there is always a better brand, better camera, a better lens. But i feel it is better not to compare, n i feel best i get within my budget when the time comes, so that i can really enjoy my photography hobby, rather then buying a very good expensive camera beyond my budget giving me a headache.

11. lichtloper
    Jul 25 - 4:53 am

In the ‘old’ times zoom lensen were said to be of inferior quality. So in the beginning of my photography life I only used primes – the well known quartet: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 90mm. That was indeed a lot of -expensive Zeiss-]glass, but it taught me to make more conscious choices as to perspective, field of view and depth of field.
    Having learned a lesson or two I now have become more confident to use the 14-45mm digital Zuiko.

lichtloper (Peter),