Canon 5D Mark II Specs Revealed?

The rumors are heating up again for the Canon 5D Mark II. The latest purported leaks on the spec sheet are as follows:

The new 5D II will not be released at Photokina, but instead will be a surprise announcement on April 22, according to a source I am unwilling to disclose.

The specs of the new camera are as follows (final name unavailable):

- 15.3 MP full frame CMOS sensor (vastly improved light-gathering capacity per pixel: improved micro lenses; miniaturized micro circuitry; enhanced signal/noise ratio)

– Weather sealing same as 1Ds Mark III

- Dual Digic III with all-new “CXR” NR system reported to best 3rd party NR software. Available as a C.F with 4 levels of customizable parameters.

14 bit A/D conversion

– ISO 12800 (C.F. up to 25600)

– Reported 1 2/3 stop sensitivity improvement

– All-new 29-point TTL CMOS sensor
with 12 cross-type for F/2.8 or faster lens
(35% faster than 40D)

– Micro lens fine adjustment for up to 14 lenses

– 300,000 exposure shutter durability

– 6.0 / 3.0 fps

– 3.0″ LCD
922,000 pixels

– EOS Integrated Cleaning System

– Live View (improved from 450D; latest generation)

– 6/3 fps continuous shooting for up to 68 frames

– MSRP $3499, available June 2

(via DP Review forums)

Stay tuned to Photography Bay’s Canon 5D Mark II page for the latest news and rumors as we close in on its release.

Comments

1. Matt says

Soooooo, did they mean PMA? Photokina is not until September this year, so it better not be April 2009!

Can anyone clarify this? Or is the factual errors proof this is just another load of crap?

Matt,

I think the implication from the above rumor is that the release is April 2008.

However, it’s just a rumor for now. There’s been no verification. Camera makers have been known to release new cameras at other times than just major trade shows.

Look at Olympus and the E-420 – a full month after PMA. I would expect more of these non-tradeshow announcements with the crowded DSLR market that we’re now seeing. It gives the manufacturers a little more exclusivity in the press when their not competing with a dozen other new DSLRs hitting at the same time.

3. Marcel says

I agree – the OEM’s do pretty much what they want, WRT releasing new products.

The upside of releasing it now is: whatever they bring out will get EVERYONE’S attention and will not get overlooked or lost in the general hoopla of PMA or Photokina. As it might be the “only thing going” in April, it will be the hoopla.

April 2009 is, IMHO, too late for the 5D update…they need to get it out there while everyone is anxiously anticipating it..

4. Matt says

Ok, valid point, I see the logic there. It is still a rumour, wish there was some more concrete info to base purchasing decisions on.

5. rdrr says

Wow, I cant wait, Just like I couldn’t wait the other 10 times a 5D MKII rumor managed get everyone excited but never delivered. This is complete BS , speculation, whatever you want to call it… This same thing has been brought up every 3 months for the last 1.5 years. So take this article for what it’s worth, NOTHING….

6. Jim says

It’s a nice dream, but there’s no way Canon is going to blow the rest of their upper line out of the water with a camera with all of these specs for only $3500. If it happens, which I doubt, you’ll have to stand in line for a year just to get to hold one.

Actually, canon will have improve specs alot from first generation 5D as it has to compete with incredibly good Nikon D700, they will have to put it at a similair price point also. If it costs more than that, you will buy a Nikon D3 for $5,000, if it costs less than a Nikon D700 ($3.000 bargain) then they won’t make much profit on it. They better come up with a kick ass 5D or lm switching teams and buying a Nikon D3 or D700, plus nikons metering and wide angle lenses has always been superior to Canons!!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Well I am in the market for a new camera. I sold my Canon 20D a while back and have been sailing by with one body, my 30D. I do not want to spend the money to get a Mark III though I would love to have one. I don’t believe that it has enough to offer me to make it worth the four grand right now. The 5D has been a camera that I have thought about a lot off and on over the last year but with Canon releasing and then phasing out cameras so often I was a bit apprehensive to make the $2199 purchase from BHPhotoVideo right now. I did some searching on Google and came across some information about the possible release of a second generation 5D coming out early June. I really need 2 camera bodies and do not want to spend the money on the 5D if it’s second gen will be released in June. [...]