It seems that Robert Westin, VP for Canon Sweden, has spilled the beans on Canon’s upcoming Pre-PMA 2008 announcement. This article on Kamerabild.se (a Swedish site) quotes Westin regarding Canon’s 2007 performance and thoughts on the upcoming year. A little help from Google and some translation sites helped me read some of this stuff.
1. Canon will announce the next big thing on January 24 – the week before PMA starts.
2. Canon will release more photo products in 2008 than 2007.
1. My money is on a Canon Rebel XTi replacement (aka 450D) being announced on January 24th. As I’ve said before, the Rebel XTi (aka 400D) is due for replacement – now at the end of its 18 month produce life cycle. Read more about this camera here.
2. If not announced alongside the 450D, the Canon 5D Mark II is sure to follow later this year. For all the reasons why I think this is the case, check out this page.
3. Something else may be coming too. Canon had three big ones for 2007 – the PowerShot G9, EOS 1Ds Mark III and EOS 40D. If he’s talking about more cameras, then we could be looking at a gap filler DSLR. 3D or 7D anyone?
[tags]canon, 5d, mark ii, rebel xti, replacement, 450d, rumor, news, announcement[/tags]