Phase One’s new IQ2 series launched today with three new 645 format digital backs. The Phase One IQ280, IQ260 and IQ260 Achromatic offer high-speed wireless connectivity with the ability to capture and view up to 80MP images on an iPad running Phase One’s Capture Pilot App. [click to continue…]
Leica introduced the new Leica S medium format camera alongside the Leica Super-Elmar-S 24 mm f/3.5 ASPH. super-wide, the Leica Vario-Elmar-S 30-90 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. and the Leica TS-APO- Elmar-S 120 mm f/5.6 ASPH. tilt/shift lens. at Photokina 2012.
The new Leica S features a medium format 37.5MP image sensor (that’s 30 x 45mm in physical size) and an improved sensitivity range over the Leica S2, now at ISO 100-1600. When used with Leica CS lenses the Leica S offers a flash sync speed of 1/1000s
The Leica S also has an upgraded AF system with predictive AF in tracking mode, as well as built-in GPS. Additional features include a 3-inch LCD at 920k-dot res and full sRGB color space and includes Lightroom 4 for processing its RAW files.
The Leica S should be available in December 2012 for $21,950. Check availability here at B&H Photo.
Hasselblad’s next-gen medium format H series will be the H5D series. Full details will be unveiled at Photokina 2012, but here is what we know now.
- New H System lens: HCD 4.8/24 mm, equivalent to 17 mm on 35 mm DSLR format
- New Macro Converter, for superb close-up performance with wide angle lenses
- RAW + JPEG mode for quick preview and print
- New True Focus II provides unique, accurate focus and Immediate Focus Confirm
- Full access to camera information and image preview on rear in tethered mode
- The largest, brightest viewfinder image on the market
- New larger, more ergonomic buttons and an easier to read display style
- New sealing for improved weather proofing plus new sensor unit safety lock
- Optional battery adapter for standalone operation of digital capture unit
- Ultimate image quality with Hasselblad Natural Color Solution
- A choice of software: Hasselblad Phocus 2.7 and Adobe Lightroom 4 both included
The H5D Series will be available as models with 40, 50 and 60 megapixels as well as 50 and 200 megapixel Multi-Shot versions and will start shipping in December 2012. More details will be available next week.
The new Pentax D FA 645 Macro 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR lens is designed for Pentax’s 645D medium format camera. The 90mm lens offers an equivalent focal length of 71mm compared to a standard full frame camera.
The macro capabilities of this new lens offers a maximum magnification of 0.5x. The D FA 90mm lens features Pentax’s new HD coating for higher light transmittance and reduced reflection. Additionally, the lens offers built-in Shake Reduction for up to 3.5 stops of compensation.
The Pentax D FA 645 Macro 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR will retail for $4499.95. Check availability here at B&H Photo.
The 40MP medium format Pentax 645D recently got a price drop from $9,995 to $8,795, which puts it even closer to the high-end 35mm DSLR range (see, e.g., Canon 1D X at $6,800 and Nikon D4 at $6,000).
Some retailers have already updated their list pricing to reflect the price drop (Adorama), while others have not (B&H Photo). Expect the pricing to go into effect at all Pentax retailers soon.
Sinar has announced a new medium format back that is capable of capturing 192MP images courtesy of a 48.8MP image sensor that measures 48mm x 36mm. The back acheives this via a multi-shot mode, described below. [click to continue…]