Canon’s launch promo for the EOS 1D X Mark II that is packaged with a SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro CFast 2.0 card and a USB 3.0 reader for CFast 2.0 cards ends Saturday, Feb. 27 at midnight. The $300 instant rebate essentially gives you the card and reader for free. Check it out while it lasts here at B&H Photo.
The Canon 1D X just got a $700 price drop and is now available for $4,599 including current rebates. (It was $5,299 yesterday with $700 instant rebates.)
The 1D X saw an $800 price drop in February 2015, which dropped it from $6,799 to $5,999. That’s a total of $1,500 price drop this year and, including the current instant rebate, drops it $2,200 from its original retail price. So, yeah, something is probably coming as a replacement soon…
Check it out here at B&H Photo.
Recent rumors suggest that Canon has August 14, 2015 targeted as its next EOS product release date with a DSLR and two lenses planned to launch that day. [Read more…]
New rumors suggest that both the Canon 5D Mark IV and the 1D X Mark II will be announced early in 2015 (in the Jan/Feb time frame). The Canon 5D Mark III was announced in March 2012, while the 1D X was announced in October 2011. As such, early next year would be a fitting replacement time frame for both cameras. [Read more…]
Canon has issued a firmware update for the EOS 1D X with lots of AF impovements. Firmware version 2.0.3 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
- Auto focusing performance under low-light conditions has been enhanced when performing focusing before shooting in AI Servo AF mode. The enhancement comes from the improvement in tracking capability for the first image in the low-light conditions.
- The number of release parameters settings for the “AI Servo AF 2nd image priority” AF function has been increased to enable improved AF tracking in low light or maintain consistent high frames rates during continuous shooting.
- The number of parameters for acceleration/deceleration tracking in the AF Configuration Tool will has been increased.
- Exposure compensation can be performed when using manual exposure and ISO Auto.
- The minimum shutter speed limit for ISO Auto has been increased with shutter speeds up to 1/8000.
- A new function to keep the exposure constant by altering the ISO or shutter speed in manual exposure, when the aperture value changes when zooming or changing lenses has been added.
- A new option has been added to orientation linked AF point to enable only the AF point to switch as you change orientation rather than both AF point/ AF area settings
- A new option to continue to use the previously manually selected AF point as the initial starting AF point when switching to 61-point automatic selection has been added.
- New customization of the Exposure metering and AF controls has been added for more flexibility.
- The number of possibilities for controls to switch between one-shot AF and AI Servo AF using custom controls has been increased.
- A function has been added to allow the playback and review of protected images only.
- A phenomenon has been fixed in which the white balance may be disturbed by the timing of the shutter release when the drive mode is single shooting and a flash (E-TTL)is used.
You can download the firmware update and get instructions on how to install it here on Canon’s website.
Canon has announced that it will provide firmware upgrades for the 1D X and 1D C cameras starting in January 2014 and November 2013, respectively. The firmware updates for each of the cameras provide several new features. For the 1D X, firmware version 2.0 adds a number of AF improvements as well as other refinements. The 1D C firmware update adds lens communication enhancements as well as audio line-in recording.
Complete details in the press release below. [Read more…]