Megapixel War 2.0: Leica M Sensor Maker Says Sensors with 100's of Megapixels Coming Soon | News | Forum

email

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Megapixel War 2.0: Leica M Sensor Maker Says Sensors with 100's of Megapixels Coming Soon
Read the original blog post
May 12, 2014
12:53 am
Eric Reagan
Admin
Forum Posts: 1890

Leica M 100MP

The 24MP full frame Leica M sensor is made in Grenoble, France by STMicro, which recently updated its website with the claim that it would soon offer CMOS image sensors "with 100's of millions of pixels."

How much is enough though? We know that Canon has much larger sensor samples in the works…

email
May 12, 2014
1:20 am
Hasi

I'd buy it in a heartbeat, then I'd be the coolest guy around and could snicker at all the boobs who fell for the M240 ruse.

email
May 12, 2014
1:43 am
Tobias

Aren't they talking about MF sensors for Leica S then?

email
May 12, 2014
2:20 am
Nick

It would be very demanding for the lenses (even for Leica lenses).
If we look to the story of Sony system, they only have few lenses on par with their highest megapixel sensors. Most of their lenses do not match their excellent sensors.
A reasonable megapixel count + dynamic range + low light capabilities + color depth + color accuracy would be the formula for success.

email
May 13, 2014
8:20 am
Wedding Photography

I wonder where is the borderline after which cameras will not be able to make more precise photos.

email
May 18, 2014
7:01 am
Manfred

Of cause there is a need for more pixels. Not for daily life and your photoalbum with shots of your family but e.g. for big prints of landscapes hanging in my living room (or other rooms as well) requiring 40 x 60cm, 80cm x 60 cm or maybe 110 x 60 cm (16x9) in the near future. Or for multimedia shows for big screens where you want to zoom into the details like trees, buildings etc.
A MF-camera is no option not only because of lacking money but also to poor choice of lenses like a Canon 17mm shift for example. For me, 20MP is average – you can have it on every consumer DSLR and even a handy.
The real challenge seems to be the combination of maybe 50 or 75 MPs with higher ISO.

email
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 464

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

eriemer: 6

Editor323: 4

byroninedmonton: 3

fuster: 2

Kortney Jarman: 2

photography: 2

marcus: 2

dswatson83: 2

moniteur: 2

stevenjoen: 2

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 871

Members: 337

Moderators: 0

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 5

Topics: 1825

Newest Members: boginbob, paraord, henryp, photosharer, Visuel Technologie.bf, one_sandman, Snapper, Tom, john, Editor323

Administrators: Eric Reagan (1890)