Do you use layer groups in Photoshop just for organizing your layers?
In this quick 10-minute video, Julieanne Kost demonstrates 5 ways to make use of layer groups in Photoshop that go well beyond organization. All of these techniques can be used in Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop CC.
Here’s a quick summary of the 5 ways to use layer groups.
- Blending modes apply to group of layers to make the effect appear as if the layers have been merged.
- Styles for layers (e.g., drop shadows, etc.) in groups are applied as if the layers have been merged.
- The ability to restrict how the layers interact within the group versus the layers in the rest of the document. For example, a black and white adjustment layer can be restricted to layers within group.
- The ability to clip a texture or another color to a group by using a clipping mask.
- Mask multiple layers within a group with a single mask.
Watch the video to see how to make these work in the Photoshop interface.
Glyn Dewis put together a solid tutorial on his post production of a sports scene, for which he created a grungy feel. Dewis uses a combination of Lightroom, Photoshop, Topaz Detail and Topaz Clarity to achieve this look. Additionally, he shows alternative methods to get effects from third-party plug-ins with only Photoshop.
Exposure compensation is a setting available on most cameras today. Generally, only the simpler point and shoot cameras fail to offer exposure compensation adjustments.
It is an adjustment that a lot of folks fail to ever understand or use. For those of you in this category, I’m going to try to help you understand what it does and when you should use it. [click to continue…]
Whether you are out on a dedicated mission or on a family outing celebrating a holiday, getting a great shot of a fireworks show is a nice feeling. While there are many different ways to capture fireworks, there are a few basic starting points for those who have never nailed that fireworks shot.
Check out these quick tips below. [click to continue…]
Lynda.com has a free post-processing course, Black and White with Photoshop and Lightroom, now through June 21 from Photoshop Product Manager Bryan O’Neil Hughes. [click to continue…]
Check out the below BTS video for Profoto Master Series with Greg Heisler as he talks his way through the his approach to shooting Bill & Melinda Gates and Bono for the cover of Time’s Person of the Year cover for 2005.
Lots of good pre-production thoughts and then curve ball adjustments once people started arriving on his set. [click to continue…]