Nikon has just officially announced the new full frame D700 DSLR, which we’ve all been expecting since leaked images and rumors began piling up a couple of weeks ago. The Nikon D700 has the same high ISO capabilities as the D3, with sensitivity up to ISO 25600.
The key specs to the new Nikon D700 are as follows:
Nikon D700 Key Features
- 12.1 megapixel FX (full-frame) CMOS sensor with high signal-to-noise ratio, wide dynamic range, and built-in self-cleaning sensor unit that minimizes dust.
- ISO 200 – 6400: extendable up to 25600 (equivalent) and down to ISO 100 (equivalent).
- 5fps continuous shooting (8fps with optional MB-D10 battery pack with lithium-ion battery EN-EL4a or 8 AA batteries).
- EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb detail and tonal gradation.
- Advanced Scene Recognition System combines the camera’s metering and AF sensors for precise exposures and sharply defined images.
- Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system. Individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings.
- Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing by enabling the pre-set customization of image parameters such as sharpening, contrast, brightness, hue and saturation in various color modes.
- 920,000 dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170-degree viewing angle.
- Live View with Autofocus enables composition of images by use of the LCD monitor. Two modes are supported: Handheld or Tripod.
- DX Crop Mode can be automatically enabled when a DX format lens is attached.
- Quick response: approx. 40 ms shutter-lag.
- Active D-Lighting enables superior high-contrast images by automatically applying tone compensation at the moment of capture.
- HDMI video output interface enables connection to high-definition video systems.
- Intuitive ergonomics with optimized button placement for fast and comfortable handling.
- Durable Magnesium alloy body: moisture and dust resistant.
- Wireless LAN and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4.
The Nikon D700 is expected to be in stores within a month or so. We will have more coming very soon on the D700, so stay tuned to Photography Bay’s Nikon D700 page for the latest. For now, you can read Nikon’s press release below for a complete overview of the new D700.
Nikon D700 Press Release
Nikon FX-format digital SLR – exceptional performance combined with superior mobility and functional versatility to provide serious photographers with outstanding value
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of its newest FX-format digital SLR, the Nikon D700.
The D700 features an FX-format first introduced with the Nikon D3. Highly praised for its outstanding features, the D3 established a new level of professional performance in terms of overall image quality, extraordinarily low noise, ISO sensitivity range, continuous high-speed shooting, color gradation, image crispness, durability, weather-resistant operation, system versatility and more. [Read more…]