Sony has announced its new A9 mirrorless camera. As the flagship of its Alpha lineup, the Sony A9 features a 24MP full frame stacked CMOS sensor that captures up to 20 frames per second. It uses an electronic shutter for shutter speeds up to 1/32,000s and can shoot those high frame rates with no viewfinder blackout.
Using high-speed UHS-II SD cards (in its dual card slots), the Sony A9 can shoot up to 241 continuous (compressed) RAW images or 362 JPEG images at the 20fps burst rate. Sony has improved the processing speed in the A9 to be 20x faster than previous full frame Alpha models. The camera offers 693 phase-detect AF points with 60 AF/AE tracking calculations per second. It also features 5-axis in-body image stabilization with 5-stops of camera shake correction.
Sony A9 Key Features
- 24.2MP Full-Frame Stacked CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- Blackout-Free Quad VGA 3.7m-Dot OLED EVF
- 3.0″ 1.44m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- Internal UHD 4K/30p Video Recording
- 20 fps Shooting with AF/AE Tracking
- 693-Point Phase-Detection AF System
- 5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
- Mag. Alloy Body, Dual SD Card Slots
The A9 is capable of capturing 14-bit uncompressed RAW images. The sensitivity range covers ISO 100-51,200 and is expandable to ISO 50-204,800. Sony has also doubled the battery life for the A9, as comparted to A7 models, which is something sorely need. The new NP-FZ100 batteries offer 2.2x the capacity of previous models.
Of course, it wouldn’t be a Sony Alpha camera if it didn’t capture 4K video – and it does. The camera uses full pixel readout without pixel binning to collect 6K of information, oversampling it to produce high quality 4K footage. The A9 can also record 1080p video at up to 120fps.
There are a number of new accessories available for the new Sony A9 as well:
- NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Battery: High-capacity battery with approximately 2.2x the capacity of the NP-FW50 W-series battery. Supports InfoLITHIUM® technology, which makes it possible to view the remaining battery power as both a percentage display and five step icon on the camera’s LCD screen.
- VG-C3EM Vertical Grip: Provides same operation, handling and design as α9, doubles battery life and allows USB battery-charging via the camera body.
- NPA-MQZ1K Multi-Battery Adaptor Kit: External multi-battery adaptor kit capable of functioning as an external power supply for four Z series batteries and as a quick charger. Kit comes with two packs of NP-FZ100 rechargeable batteries.
- GP-X1EM Grip Extension: Grip extender with same look, feel and design as α9. Enables more solid hold on camera.
- FDA-EP18 Eyepiece Cup: Eye piece cup with locking mechanism
- BC-QZ1 Battery Charger: Quick-charging battery charger. Charges one new Z series battery in approximately 2.5 hours.
- PCK-LG1 Screen Protect Glass Sheet: Hard, shatterproof glass screen protector with anti-stain coating to prevent fingerprints. Compatible with touch operation and tilting LCD screen
The Sony A9 will ship in June 2017 for $4499. Pre-order start on Friday, April 21. Check it out here at B&H Photo.