arrow11 Comments
  1. Dan
    Jul 09 - 8:56 am

My worry for Canon is that the 5D3, even though it records 1080p, resolves much less. The footage while nice looking does not look sharp. I’m worried that Canon needs to jump through 2 hurdles, 1 just to make the 1080p footage look better, and 2 is to record 4k. Then their is the question of if they would bring this to a sub $4000 camera when they currently are charging $12000 for it. Not to mention the Sony A7s already gives me better low light, better looking 1080p, and the option of 4k if needed through a recorder and it does it for $1000 less than the years old 5D3 with the same full frame sensor. Not only does Canon need a drastic improvement to its sensor, it needs to deal with resolving detail, moire, 4k, add features like focus peaking, and it needs to stop charging 25% more than the competition. I bet before we see the 5D4, Sony will be recording 4k in camera on a FF sensor, and Panasonic will put out a full frame or APS-C version of the GH4. I own the 5D3 and 70D for video right now but just got the A7s in yesterday and have the GH4 coming in next week. I’m betting there is a good chance my Canon gear goes up for sale next month.

• David forrester
      Jul 09 - 12:16 pm

I can only agree 100%. I have the 5D2 and it is was a groundbreaker in it’s day. For stills, it takes great stuff. For video, it is past it’s prime – I mean it can still take nice stuff in the right conditions, but advancements are making it only sub-par now in so many ways. Auto focus in video, follow focus, peaking, zebra’s, audio (critical here). Not even the 5D3 was better in video and these areas except a bit more in lower light and higher gain – but sharpness and the likes, sorry. No doubt to protect their over-priced C series cameras which are selling well.

The Sony and Panasonic are amazing, well thought out, lighter, just simply better in all regards. Waaay better. Like yourself, my Canon gear is about to go up for sale. The video from either camera is astonishing in 4K even down converted to 1080, stunning. Canon does not even come close anymore. Kind of like Brazil losing to Germany in a blowout. Ouch.

• Chris Howell
        Jul 11 - 12:15 am

I think that If people want to shoot video……Buy a video camera purpose built!

• David Forrester
          Jul 11 - 1:39 am

Actually I did at 2x the cost and it was a DSLR killer. But there is something awfully nice to know that when you are doing a still shot, you can switch to video and get great stuff. That big sensor makes for nice boketh etc. It does have something that not all made for video cameras have. Now the now Sony A7S does what the 5D’s should be doing and doing it obscenely well. That camera is just so advanced over the Canon 5DM2 and 3. There is no reason to buy Canon anymore. No competition except those who have a ton of Canon glass.

2. Gary Grimes
    Jul 11 - 2:56 am

I could care less about video, high frame rates (except maybe for in-camera handheld HDR), and high ISO capability. I do a lot of pixel level editing so I want at least 40 Mpix on full frame sensor, lots of bit depth, color accuracy, and low noise and high dynamic range at ISO 100. I never shoot above ISO 100 – if I need to I add light, or add a tripod, if that doesn’t work I go home and pop the top on a cold one. I would like the capability to overpower the sun on a sunny day with a flash sync speed of 1/500 or higher with a monolight, even if it means having a goofy lens with a leaf shutter. Great autofocus in low light would be good since I use monolights on batteries at a lot of locations where I can’t use a modeling light, but I never expose for low light. Mirrorless might be OK if autofocus is not degraded from DSLR performance. I also want in camera Wi-Fi or at least in grip WiFi without degrading the grip capability from two batteries to one. I want to be able to show my model a high res shot on a tablet or studio monitor within a couple seconds of exposing the shot – all wirelessly. Simultaneously immediate storage of the shots in an in camera chip and a wirelessly connected computer would be great. WiFi that actually works without hiring a full time IT person would be good too. In camera radio flash capability would be good too, especially it if supported popular receivers for studiolights/monolights as well as Canon flashes. Also a better solution to the sensor dust problem would be great – I am totally paranoid about changing lenses on location, and even at home, although I have plenty of Canon L glass. So, in summary just want a great studio and location camera for shooting a great shot every 10 to 20 seconds or so and if I want to shoot video I will drag out my video camera. I have NO interest in sports and action.

• Greg Adams
      Jul 11 - 8:46 pm

Buy a medium format camera and be done with it. Pentax has a nice one, and it does video.

3. Helen
    Jul 11 - 2:58 am

I’d like my next camera – whatever it is – to give me live view on my phone or tablet. I envy my friend’s Sony with flipout screen – particularly as we are both short. Being able to use my phone would be even more flexible

4. Gary Martin
    Jul 11 - 10:07 am

While an improved storage option would be welcomed; CFast Cards of today are priced way out of reach. For example, the SanDisk 120GB card sells for $1200.00, the 60GB version is $650.00. The prices will come down with increased demand, but how long will it be before these approximate CF Card pricing? Today, a 64GB CF Card is ~$99. This is probably a chicken and egg problem that will resolve over time.

5. For aerial use, as much as I like Canon products, as a seller of rc UAV aircraft I cannot recommend them anymore for our aerial platforms.

With Panasonic and Sony bringing in powerful cameras in such small packages it kind of makes the Mark III obsolete, again this is only applicable to aerial use.
    I understand the situation with Canon that they have a division for pro-video, and so they are trying to avoid having one of their DSLR’s steal sales from the more “professional” cameras, so it’s a hard spot to be in, but not impossible to develop a tool in between, like Panasonic has done with their GH line of video DSLR’s, considering that Panasonic has a professional line of camcorders as well.

• David Forrester
      Jul 12 - 10:59 pm

Panasonic has not done anything in their prosumer video line. The Sony’s have taken the market over with their FS and F series. But what Panasonic did was to blow out the DSLR competition with the GH4 camera – which is actually almost better than the Sony FS video line – it is amazing.

And comparing pictures with the Canon 5D2 and 3, that camera is in some respects better. No, it is not full frame sensor, but the shallow depth of field has remained the same (how that works out, I don’t know). The lenses are less expensive, lighter, sharper, and coming from Leica, world class – and can be used with other legacy glass too! not too shabby! And they can be used on Aerial cams.

Add the video module and who really needs the prosumer video cams? I think it even rivals the Sony F5 ($20,000) a bit – I mean the advantages are minimal for a whopping cost increase! In fact, is there a better all around camera that does both exceptionally well in the same package? Maybe the Sony A7 series with its insane low light capability. From what I have heard, the GH4 is already in a back-order situation. This may do in sales what the Canon 5D2 did in the past.

Canon has met competition and a serious challenger. I am not sure if they are going to win this back. Loyalists perhaps and branding over the years. And many who simply will not part with a ton of Canon glass – not worth it.

• Gary Martin
        Jul 13 - 8:28 am

Dave, I don’t know much about the Panasonic GH4 because when I was researching interchangeable len mirror less camera bodies I wanted a full frame solution. And, as you so correctly stated, needed to preserve my significant investment in Canon lenses. Bought the Sony A7r and one Zeiss 55mm lens. I primarily use the camera with a Metabones adapter which supports auto focus with most of my Canon lenses. Additionally, bought the FotoDiox adapter with built in variable ND filter. awesome camera with superb features.

Just ordered the FotoDiox RhinoCam to use my Sony body with a medium format lens ( a used $150 Mayima 645) and achieve 100+ megapixel images. The world of photography is morphing into new grounds. The Sony bodies as a base are without peer when it comes to image quality, features, and adapability.