Sony RX10 Has a 1″ Sensor and 24-200mm f/2.8 Lens

by on October 15, 2013

in Sony

Sony RX10

The Sony RX10, which should be announced in a few hours, looks awesome. Finally, it looks like a there’s a truly worthwhile superzoom that matches a solid lens and sensor.

These images show the RX10 with a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range, which is equivalent to 24-200mm on a full frame thanks to the 2.7x crop factor of the 1″ sensor. The question is, however, whether that will be enough to warrant the $1300 price tag. Frankly, I’m very intrigued…

Sony RX10 Back

[via DCI]

1 Jared October 15, 2013 at 11:18 pm

But does it use the proprietary Sony/Minolta hotshoe?
That’s my only gripe with Sony.

2 Oberoth October 16, 2013 at 3:08 am

It seems to be a small variation on the Fujifilm X-S1 for a crazy amount more money:

3 anotherbob October 16, 2013 at 4:21 am

Oberoth – The Sony sensor is much bigger than the Fuji, a full one inch, much more robust build too with the weather and dust sealed magnesium body and lens. I have the RX 100 and love it, probably will be getting this one, too!

4 Oberoth October 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Anotherbob, I wouldn’t say it was ‘much bigger’ than the Fuji, it’s 1/3 of an inch bigger. This Sony sensor is 1″ and the Fuji is 2/3″.

But surely anyone who cares so deeply about sensor size would opt for an APS-C at the bare minimum, especially given the price of this bridge camera.

I am sure this will be a great camera but for me the price is way too far into SLR country.

5 anotherbob October 17, 2013 at 8:27 pm

If your comparison is correct it is nearly twice the size, I’ve been told this ones a whole generation better than the one I have now, and I love my rx100!

6 Gare October 16, 2013 at 9:16 am

Wow, this is exactly what I have been dreaming about ever since I bought my RX100… the price is high, but actually pretty reasonable when you consider the other options you have for getting a larger sensor coupled with a constant f2.8 in such a compact package. Nice work Sony, now where is my new A-Mount lineup??? :-)