Do you use layer groups in Photoshop just for organizing your layers?
In this quick 10-minute video, Julieanne Kost demonstrates 5 ways to make use of layer groups in Photoshop that go well beyond organization. All of these techniques can be used in Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop CC.
Here’s a quick summary of the 5 ways to use layer groups.
- Blending modes apply to group of layers to make the effect appear as if the layers have been merged.
- Styles for layers (e.g., drop shadows, etc.) in groups are applied as if the layers have been merged.
- The ability to restrict how the layers interact within the group versus the layers in the rest of the document. For example, a black and white adjustment layer can be restricted to layers within group.
- The ability to clip a texture or another color to a group by using a clipping mask.
- Mask multiple layers within a group with a single mask.
Watch the video to see how to make these work in the Photoshop interface.