Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens Confirmed by Sigma

Sigma 18-35mm

It’s real.

Sigma has produced a 18-35mm zoom lens with a constant f/1.8 aperture throughout the zoom range. While it only covers an APS-C sensor, Sigma is still the first to offer this kind of lens to DSLR users.

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8

The lens contains 17 elements in 12 groups. The aperture range covers f/1.8 max down to f/16 min. It has a 72mm filter size and a minimum focusing distance of 11-inches. There are 9 aperture blades, which produced a rounded diaphragm. The lens weighs 810g (or 28.6 oz.). No word yet on pricing though.

MTF Charts

Sigma is really knocking it out of the park with its latest series of lenses. The new 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM is getting rave reviews, and I am loving the little budget 17-70mm f/2.8-4 replacement kit lens on the Nikon D7100. If this new 18-35mm f/1.8 continues the trend, there could be a new lens sheriff in town.

Your move Canon and Nikon.

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM

[via Sigma Global]

Comments

1. dswatson83 says

Sigma is on fire. I bet there are some stunned Canon & Nikon engineers and managers right now. I hope this lens is just enough to slap Canon into producing lenses based on consumer wants and not on strategic marketing which is what I feel that they are doing now with their IS primes. And while they are at it, they need to lower those prices too because $850 for a plastic 35mm f/2 is just ridiculous…even if it has IS

Canon needed this kick in the ass. They really thing they could keep us in stone age with all old lenses that cannot even perform well enough to be called professional. Sigma won my admiration now.

3. KayAnn says

Sigma with their “Art Series” lenses put both Canon & Nikon on shame. Both the optic quality & built are commendable. I personally am inclined on replacing my Canon L lenses with Sigma & Tamron considering their recent releases. Canon with their new high priced & low built quality lenses suck.

4. Radoslaw Janicki says

I agree with Dswatson83. Im loyal Canon user since 1990 but less and less understand why. Canon is no longer striving to make best photo equipment. Their new goal is to squeeze money from us. Canon, what is your response to this Sigma? How about 120-300/2.8? Do you have anything like this for non millionaires? Two thumbs up Sigma, good job with putting competitors in shame!

Yes Sigma has been making quality lenses for quite some time. My next lens, which I have been comparing with other Canon/Nikon will be the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens for $544. Quality and constant F2.8. The new Sigma 35mm f1.4 & 18-35mm F1.8 lenses will be something to really look into. Have a great shoot, Dabs……………..

6. Colin says

Not wanting to rain on anyone’s parade, but you should expect this Sigma lens to have major vignetting problems (it will be nearer f/4 at the edges than f/2.8) and either extreme rectilinear distortion or severe edge and corner softness at anything wider than f/8. You may not always get what you pay for (Canon/Nikon) but you only rarely get what you don’t pay for.

• says

I am an avid Nikon user. however I have long since stopped using Nikon lenses exclusively, Sigma have replaced Nikon in my bag. i am willing to give this a shot as Sigma have never let me down

I have a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM on my Canon Eos 60d, since i put it on, its NEVER been off it, the build quality is superb, (better than most Canon and Tamron lenses) and the image quality never ceases to amaze me, this lens can easily match, if not better the Canon 18-200 and 55/250mm lenses and it beats hands down the Tamron 18-300mm also, its a brilliant lens, and i say, very well done to Sigma!

• ALBERT says

Not very experienced PETE, whats wrong?? unhappy that a Sigma lens is probably better built and performs better than the probable Canon lens you had ta fork out plenty for, some might agree with your comment about me, but PETE, hate to say, thousands would disagree with your lackies comment lololololololo, DONT be a KNOW IT ALL PETE lololololololo