Sony has unveiled the new Alpha α58, which features a 20.1MP APS CMOS sensor that can also capture full 1080/24p HD video. The α58 serves as a successor to the Sony α57. Like other Sony Alpha SLT models, the α58 offers a built-in image stabilization system at the sensor level and, of course, Sony’s translucent mirror technology, which aids in the rapid 8fps shooting the α58 delivers.
Sony α58 Key Features
- 20.1MP Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor
- ISO 100-16000 (25600 w/ Multi Frame NR)
- 15-point phase detect AF w/ 3 cross-type sensors
- 5fps burst (8fps in Tele-zoom Continuous Advance Priority AE mode)
- 1080p HD video capture
- 460k-dot res adjustable angle 2.7″ LCD
- SteadyShot image stabilization
- HDMI output
- Standard ISO hot shoe
- Memory Stick Duo / SD card slots
The Sony A58 should be available in April 2013 at an expected retail price of $600. It seems that, for the moment, the announcement is only official in Europe – with US prices and release dates to be forthcoming in the next week. Check availability at B&H Photo, Adorama and Amazon.com.