Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS Rumors

by on October 30, 2012

in Canon

After the recently-introduced Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II lens, we are now starting to hear rumors of a version of this lens with image stabilization.  Of course, rumors of such a lens have been around for quite some time now, but Canon Rumors has received additional tips recently that point to a possibility that the lens could be in the pipeline.

Tamron has a stabilized 24-70mm f/2.8 lens that has received quite a bit of praise.  Who would be interested in a stabilized version of this lens directly from Canon?  What would be the right price point for you to pull the trigger?

1 Charles Mackenzie-Hill October 30, 2012 at 6:59 am

This will be the lens to wait for. A few might get upset for jumping in with the purchase of the non Is version

I wonder if this will be 3 to 5 times the price of the Tamron

2 Alex B October 30, 2012 at 8:05 am

$2999 is my guess on pricing. Should be an amazing lens if produced, but pricing will be outrageous.

3 Matt October 30, 2012 at 11:14 am

agreed. The new one is priced to be out of most amateurs hands as it is. I think your guess is probably right.

4 Denn-Ice October 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

We can expect the price to be exactly that Alex B.

5 Dan October 30, 2012 at 10:00 am

There once was a day when Sigma & Tamron did not make lenses nearly as good as Canon. Those days are largely gone and I don’t think Canon will be able to compete as well if it keeps to the current pricing. They would have to charge at least $2500 for this and that will be a tough sell when the Tamron is so good for half that price.

6 Jared October 30, 2012 at 11:11 am

About time! I didn’t see the need to spend that much money to upgrade my 24-70, if it didn’t offer image stabilization.

This is something I would actually be interested in. But the rumour comes at about the same time as the “everything is moving toward mirrorless” rumour, too!

7 JJ October 30, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Unfortunately this is a small small rumor. (its a CR1). Canon Rumors have just clarified their statements, that it was not a 2.8 IS being tested, but rather the new f/4 IS II version (which is a CR3).

8 hjoseph November 2, 2012 at 11:36 pm

The non-IS is expensive enough. I have the orignal 24-70 but I might trade it in for the Tamron. I shoot weddings and the Canon is just too bulky and heavy for my old knees.

9 bycostello November 8, 2012 at 5:08 am

i’d have one straight away… but was once told by someone close to canon it won’t happen as would be too big and heavy..

{ 1 trackback }