Nikon 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8P IF-ED Lens: A Look Back at this Massive Lens

Nikon 1200-1700mm Lens

Nikon’s Recollections section on its website just added the Zoom-Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8P IF-ED beast of lens from 1990.  The lens was constructed of 18 elements in 13 groups and had a minimum focusing distance of 10 meters.  It weighed in at a hefty 35lbs.

The 1200-1700mm lens featured a two-section lens barrel, in which only the rear portion of the lens barrel would rotate when changing from horizontal to vertical views.

2 Section Lens Barrel

2 Section Lens Barrel

Telephoto lenses with a tripod collar commonly feature a structure in which the entire lens barrel is rotated in order to change the composition from vertical to horizontal (this is referred to hereafter as the vertical/horizontal rotating mechanism). However, it would require considerable strength to rotate an entire lens barrel that weighed as much as that of the 1200-1700mm. To enable smooth vertical/horizontal rotating, the lens barrel of the 1200-1700mm is divided into front and rear sections, and only the rear section is rotated.

With the 1200-1700mm, whose front section of lens barrel is fixed, rotating the position of the camera between vertical and horizontal rotates the focus ring. Focus does not change, however, since care is taken in the design of the vertical/horizontal rotating mechanism to ensure that movement in the mechanism does not affect the rotation of the focus ring.

The reach of this lens is flat out amazing. See the sample photos below.

50mm

50mm (for comparison)

Zoom-Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8P IF-ED at 1700mm

Zoom-Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8P IF-ED at 1700mm

The “was first used in 1990 at the Koshien Stadium, the baseball ground at which the spring high school baseball tournament is staged.”  After that, Nikon delivered these lenses to news organizations in Japan and the rest of the world.  Beginning in 1994, Nikon made the massive lens available on the general market on a build to order basis.

I haven’t found any official retail prices on it; however, I’ve seen quotes ranging from $60,000 to $75,000 based on dollar values in the early 1990s.

[via Nikon]

Comments

1. Mel Snyder says

Now, $60,000 sounds like a lot of money for a lens. But it’s really quite reasonable when you consider that, with it, you could sit on the balcony of your Florida condo and shoot elephants at a watering hole outside Kinshasa…

2. Peter Geran says

I was at the Nikon Professional office in Tokyo in 1988, and a guy came in with one. I thought it was a ” loaner” from NIKON, but, turned out it belonged to the guy.

That lens makes my 800mm f5.6 look small.

With those easy-to-grab handles top and bottom, it looks as much like an M-16 machine gun as a photographic piece.
    The first house I bought cost only 15k more than the 60k price tag for that lens.

I’d rather have the house. Let the military have this lens. How would one even break even on that purchase?

• Peter Geran says

Wild life work. Survelliance … Every working professional should have one ;-)

Weddings.. Especially if you didnt like the couple… Great for portrait work. Fantastic bokeh.

4. ChokDK says

Now put this little thingy into the next PAS camera please :D:D

Ooh boy who wouldn’t love to be able to take pictures with that zoom factor.
    But – even wih the well known danish taxes these glasses are still even more expensive than my first house (refering at Stu Marks)

5. Ashley Groome says

Back in the good old days when Nikon made “real” lenses.

I think I’m tearing up – choke. :-)

6. Peter Geran says

Ashley,

I still have my 300mm f2.8 AF-S, 500mm f4 AF-I, 800mm f5.6 ( manual) 8mm f2.8 ( Full circle fisheye )

I reckon these qualify as ” Real Lenses ” :-)

This lens would compliment a police force nicely. They could shoot survelliance photo’s, then use the lens as a battering ram to catch the person(s) they were watching.

8. John_IGG says

Imagine this one on a D300s, or even better on a V1…

The sky is the limit!

PS
    I don’t need one I can’t possibly afford one … I want one (: …

9. JorPet says

I’ld get one in a heartbeat, but they aren’t compatible with the TC-20E, so what would be the point?

10. William Dyer says

People sometimes wonder why I workout at the gym! It’s to lift the camera bag full of Nikon lenses and camera bodies! Since I can bicep curl 50 pounds one handed, I might have a chance of getting that monster on a tripod! However, taking it out day hiking is still out of the question! ;-)

• says

Great article! The photo with the photog carrying the lens on his shoulder really drives the point home regarding its massive size! and the two subjects in the image are actually 18 meters (about 60 feet) apart! That’s truly impressive!

11. Womble says

Canon’s 1200mm lens offered a 1.4x TC, which took it to 1700mm, but it was one or the other, not a zoom between the two. And it was even more expensive (there was one going second-hand at B&H for over $90k for a while).

12. David F says

You know, I bought a 300mm f4 Zeiss and have rarely used it. Why? 1: The haze in summer is greatly enhanced and often ‘smears’ the shot, (despite filtering) and can rarely attain good super clean pictures (cooler days are good) on long shots. Sports etc. OK, but longer shots to infinity – not much luck unless it was winter. 2:It is a heavy lens – so light travel is out with it often. Now since I have changed over to film making, the picture is super critical. Judging from this shot, unless I am wrong here, IMHO, the out of focus sections are dreadful with what appears to be multiple out of focus images side by side with a terrible bokeh – whatever, it certainly is not pretty and therefore I would not use this lens.

Trackbacks

1. [...] 易攝專欄攝影技巧攝影趣聞精選作品影壇動態攝影工具業界新聞攝影隨筆Nikon超級大炮 Zoom-Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8P IF-ED2012 年 07 月 12 日 發表: 恩格 發表留言Nikon於1990年推出的超遠距長焦鏡頭Nikon’s 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8P lens,這支超級怪物對於一般攝影人而言一直是遙不可及,到底它可以影d咩出來… Nikon’s 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8P lens以50mm拍攝的場景,你找到模特兒嗎?換上1200-1700mm鏡頭鏡連收藏箱足足是三個座位的闊度 來源:Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8P IF-ED (via PetaPixel via Photography Bay)恩格2005年開始攝影,為易攝網版主,喜歡運動、紀實、風景及旅行等題材攝影! http://www.AngusFong.comRelated posts:愛的抱抱菲林狂熱者的雪櫃(概念設計)Canon AE-D單電相機CommentsRelated posts:Nikon解釋為什麼鏡頭防震比機身防震好Nikon:器材才是王道Nikon推出一式三款的f/1.4限定版鏡頭讓你涼快的白鏡小風扇如何解讀MTF曲線來了解鏡頭的銳利度歸檔於: 攝影趣聞 Tags:1200-1700mm, Nikon, Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8P IF-ED, Zoom-Nikkor, 尼康發表你的意見 取消回覆Name *Email *Website [...]