An unofficial Star Wars-themed firmware for the Nikon D5100 is now available. While the firmware gives certain menu settings new names, it serves no functional purpose.
However, it does serve as a bit of encouragement for future enhancements via unofficial firmware upgrades.
Below is an interpretation of the StarWars beta firmware changes:
- Holocron – Playback menu
- Weapon System – Shooting menu
- Super Stardestroyer – Custom Setting menu
- Hyperdrive – Setup Menu
- Go to Dagobah Luke – Format Memory Card
- Death Star Codes – Firmware Version
- A Jedi? – Update? (new update screen)
- (help: StarWars v1.01)
- The Cantina – Retouch Menu
- My Menu – unchanged
- Dark side of force! – Subject is too dark
- Light side of force! – Subject is too light
Of course, this is not genuine Nikon firmware; however, user threads on Flickr and Reddit report over 300 installs without any problems.