underneath a star by jaeWALK
Every year, I try to make it to the beach with my family if possible. Since we don’t live near the beach, it’s always special for us to see the ocean, play in the sand and splash in the waves. It’s also a challenge to try to get above average beach pics.
There are so many things competing against good photos at the beach – midday sun, tons of people, keeping track of kids, that fat guy that’s always in the background and keeping sand out of your camera. Below, you’ll find 23 awesome beach images that beat the elements and the odds. Granted, these are not your typical family vacation photos; however, with a little bit of effort, there’s no reason you can’t bring a few images like these back from your next trip to the beach.
As you browse through them, think about what goes into these images to make them standout above the rest.
- Maybe the photographer got up early or stayed out late to get a great sunrise or sunset.
- How about walking down the beach a couple of hundred yards away from the resort to get a clean background?
- Or, using a subject in the background or foreground to stand out from the crowd.
- Getting low or high for a different point of view.
- Exposure variations, silhouette, lens flare, etc.
- HDR imagery to capture the brilliant blues of the sky, while still bringing out the golden sand and blue-green colors in the ocean.
- Wide angle lens vs. a telephoto lens.
- Anything else?
Enough with the words, here’s the rest of the awesome beach photos.
Rule of Thirds? by Garry
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by matt.hintsa
Strange by Christolakis
Coalcliff Beach, NSW, Sunkist by sachman75
Ford Mustang on Felixstowe beach by stevoarnold
Beach Sunset by Chris Gin
a beach kiss by Michael Sarver
Grace Bay Beach Pier by WisDoc
at the beach by Caligold
When photography turns social experience by = xAv =
untitled by BURИBLUE
South Beach Sisters by adwriter
Between the rocks by quas
Snowboarding in Maldives by nattu
Flash & Nipper by K_iwi
Playa de los Lances Tarifa, Cádiz by Chodaboy
Dig! Set! Spike! by Mance
Stone Puzzle by orvaratli
Mirando atras… by Chodaboy
untitled by Xava du [photographer padawan]
A Hesitant Princess Maroon by Dilip Muralidaran
What are you thoughts on the above images?
What techniques or principles stood out in these photos?
What are your tips for shooting great images on the beach?