As the hour of twilight moves across the world during the course of a day, it ignites a series of 7 games of football (ahem, “soccer” for us Americans) played during twilight set up in the most beautiful and spectacular photographic locations.
One day, 7 global locations, 7 amazing games of twilight football.
Twilight Football is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Photography Bay readers to travel to an incredible location, and capture amazing images of football in the beauty of twilight.
Locations for the games:
- Italy, Venice
- France, Mer de Glace
- Enchanted City, Spain
- UK Tingatel
- Argentina, Iguassu Falls
- Australia, Pinnacle Desert
- South Africa, Soccer City
See more about these locations here: http://www.sony.lv/hub/digital-imaging/block/3
Win a Once in a Lifetime Experience Courtesy of Sony
The dictionary defines ‘twilight’ as “the time of day just after sunset or before dawn, when the sun is below the horizon.” These magical light conditions that occur during the transition between night and day have long fascinated photographers from all over the world and have been hard to capture in photography.
Sony have developed Exmor CMOS technology, which excels at taking beautiful images. To promote this technology Sony is offering you and a friend the chance to attend an event, like no other, comprising of seven football matches taking place in seven amazing locations.
To win a chance to document one of these unique games, submit up to three photographs which you feel best captures the true magic and mystery of twilight.
You and a friend will be flown to one of the seven games to experience the beautiful game in the most unusual locations at the most spectacular time of day!
On the day of the game, you will be invited to join the players, and experience first-hand a game played at twilight, in one of the most beautiful and spectacular photographic locations in the world!
To get a glimpse of what’s to come, see Sony’s Twilight Football website.
- Return flights (economy class) for two adults to one country hosting a Twilight Football game.
- Return airport transfers to the hotel.
- Hotel accommodation (full board) for 3 consecutive nights including the night of the 23rd of September 2009. Any extras incurred will need to be settled by each guest individually at check out.
- Travel insurance. However it is recommended that each winner takes out separate medical insurance.
How to Enter:
- Take your best “twilight” themed photo from 2009.
- Upload it to your Flickr account. (Don’t have one? Sign up. It’s free.)
- Tag your photo “twilight” and “pbcontest”.
- Add your photo to the Photography Bay Group Pool.
- You may only enter up to three (3) photos for this contest. Any more than three entries will result in disqualification. You may submit as many photos to the Photography Bay Group Pool as you wish; however, you should only tag your entry photos as “twilight” and “pbcontest”. (You may tag other photos as “twilight” – just don’t add the “pbcontest” tag and the photo will not count as an entry.)
- Entries are further subject to the terms and conditions set forth below. Note that you must be 18 or older and have a valid passport.
Deadline for Entries
You have until August 19, 2009 at 11:59p.m. Eastern Time to submit your photo for the contest.
Selection of Winners
On August 20, 2009, I will select my top 20 choices as finalists in the Sony Twilight Contest and route those finalists to Sony. Upon receipt of the 20 finalists from Photography Bay, Sony will then choose one (1) overall winner from the finalists. The winner gets the to travel to one of the above locations to shoot the Twilight Football game. If the winner does not respond to correspondence from either Photography Bay or Sony within three days of the message being sent, then Sony may choose an alternate winner to award the prize.
Since we will be using a Flickr Group Pool for this contest, I will send the winner a notification by Flickr mail requesting their contact information, which I will then forward to Sony for further correspondence regarding the prize.
Additionally, I would like to have the winner produce a guest post on his or her experience and share some of the photos with the Photography Bay community. I am very excited about this contest and the fact that Photography Bay gets to help send one of our readers on this amazing photographic experience. I am looking forward to the stunning entries that I know all of you are of producing. And, yes, I’m a little envious that one of you is going and I’m not.
Sony Twilight Football Contest Official Press Release
Sony’s digital imaging campaign chases twilight across the globe
Seven football games in stunning sunset settings provide perfect backdrop to show benefits of latest Exmor CMOS sensor technology
Sony announced today its plans to stage a world first event, called Twilight Football. As the hour of twilight moves across the world, a series of seven matches will begin. Each match takes place in a location chosen to provide a spectacularly beautiful background for a truly unique activity.
The campaign has been developed to highlight Sony’s digital imaging technology, including the recently unveiled Exmor CMOS sensor. This enables Cyber-shot and Handycam products to capture detailed realistic shots in lowlight settings. Sony’s Alpha range of high-quality yet affordable DSLRs are perfect for more ambitious amateur photographers to capture stunning images from the event, in all conditions.
How many memorable football matches have taken place as the sun sets? Twilight provides a stunning natural ambient light, the ultimate canvas for the one-off, unpredictable moments that a football match always provides. Whether it’s the UEFA Champions League final or a kickabout in the park, something special almost always happens. Sony is celebrating these incredible moments by giving real players and team mates the chance to create their own moments of history, which will be recorded on Sony’s innovative products and not lost into folklore like so many personal football memories.
All seven games will take place on 22nd September 2009, the Autumnal Equinox (northern hemisphere) and Vernal Equinox (southern hemisphere). The matches will be taking place at stunning, specially chosen locations in: Italy, France, the UK, Spain, Argentina and Australia, with the Twilight Football grand final happening at Soccer City, Johannesburg, the venue for the final of 2010 FIFA World CupTM.
Teams of any level from across the world will have the opportunity to take part in this once in a lifetime experience. There will be a number of local competitions run with multiple media partners for potential Twilight Football players to enter, ensuring that the event has a truly international flavour.
A specific Twilight Football team will be sourced using social media channels like Twitter and YouTubeTM, with players given the chance to display the skills they will be showing off in front of the world’s media. FIFA have also very generously agreed to supply the nine referees and refereeing assistants required for the matches. Finally, a specially selected pool of photographers and video makers are also attending each event to record these momentous games.
Photographers will be able to try out Sony’s new range of products featuring its Exmor CMOS sensor. These models excel in capturing exceptional detail in lowlight, with two separate new shooting modes that reduce image noise when you’re shooting in challenging conditions. Anti Motion Blur mode will show its worth at the Twilight Football events, superimposing six frames to produce crisp, composite images with less subject blur. The aptly-named Handheld Twilight mode also grabs a high-speed burst of six frames, combining them to create a single optimised image with dramatically reduced noise levels. Sony’s Alpha range packs powerful specifications into an entry-level DSLR, perfect for people taking their photography habit to the next level.
If your football playing days are behind you, Sony will be making sure that you feel as close to the action as possible, with a whole range of content and spectacular imagery being made available to bloggers, websites and social networks. These will include a live Twitter stream from the events, video diaries, blogs and image galleries from participating teams and attendees as well as interviews with the winners.
“Twilight Football is one of the most ambitious projects we have ever undertaken, with seven amazing games of football taking place in highly unusual locations around the world”, says James Kennedy, Brand Communications Director at Sony Europe. “We wanted to show the world what they have been missing when shooting images in the most picturesque light that nature has to offer. There is no better way to do this than by using the international language of football. This is an event to show real people the benefits of Exmor CMOS technology, giving them the opportunity to capture firsthand some of the most stunning locations in the modern world.”
For further information on the Twilight Football campaign, please visit: www.sony.co.uk/twilightfootball
OFFICIAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. The competition is open to all residents from any country worldwide.
2. All entrants must be aged 18 or over and hold a valid passport.
3. To enter, you must upload your image(s) via the following website: www.photographybay.com (the “Website” or “Photography Bay”), following the on-screen instructions carefully. Images must be taken in 2009 and entries should be based on the theme around twilight. Full information can be found on the Website.
4. You may enter up to 3 images.
5. By entering the competition entrants hereby accept these competition terms and conditions.
6. Entries must be submitted by 11.59:59pm (GMT) on Wednesday 19th August 2009. No entries will be accepted after this date.
9. The top 20 images from Photography Bay’s pool of entrants will be selected by the editor(s) of Photography Bay and submitted to an independent panel of Sony’s representatives. These top 20 entries will then be judged by the independent panel of Sony representatives between 18th- 21st August 2009. The prizes will be awarded to the entrants who have, in the opinion of the judges, produced the most apt images relating to the theme of the competition. At least one entrant from Photography Bay’s pool of applicants will be selected for the prize detailed in paragraph 12 below.
10. The names and winning images will be announced on the Photography Bay website on Monday 24th August 2009.
11. Each winner will be notified by email within 5 days.
12. The prize for each winner consists of:
(a) Round trip flights (economy class) for two adults to one country hosting a Twilight Football game.
(b) Return airport transfers to the hotel.
(c) Hotel accommodation (full board) for 3 consecutive nights including the night of the 23rd of September 2009. Any extras incurred will need to be settled by each guest individually at check out.
(d) Travel insurance. However it is recommended that each winner takes out separate medical insurance.
Further details of the prize will be given to the winners upon notification.
13. The prize with an approximate value of €2300 will be awarded to the 1 winner and their chosen partner of this competition. The prize trip must be taken between 20th- 25th September 2009.
14. In the event of the prize becoming unavailable, for whatever reason, Sony reserves the right to provide an alternative prize of equivalent value.
15. If the Promoter (Photography Bay) receives no response from the winners to the notification after 5 working days, the Promoter (Photography Bay) reserves the right to award the prize to an alternate winner.
16. The decision of the Promoter (Photography Bay) is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
17. There are no cash or credit alternatives available for prize winners. Winners shall be solely responsible for any and all taxes associated with the award of the prize.
18. Winners agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of their names and likenesses for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity.
19. The Promoter (Photography Bay) and the Website reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any entry that does not comply with the following requirements, even after the entry is submitted on the Website or the prize is awarded by the Promoter (Photography Bay). You warrant and represent that, in respect of each entry submitted as follows:
(a) you are the sole owner and author of each entry;
(b) you have the right to make your entry available to the competition;
(c) you confirm that each person depicted in the entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown.
(d) each entry does not contain personally identifiable information about you or any other person(s);
(e) each entry does not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libelous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content;
(f) each entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity, and your entry does not include trademarks owned by third parties; copyrighted materials owned by third parties; names, likenesses, voices or other characteristics identifying celebrities or other public figures, living or dead.
20. You agree to fully indemnify the Promoter (Photography Bay) and the Website in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of your breaching any of the foregoing.
21. Entries which contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service other than that of the Promoter (Photography Bay) will be disqualified.
22. By entering into this competition entrants hereby have the choice in whether to opt in for their work to be used by Sony in a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free licence to use any pictures submitted in connection with the competition (“Images”). Entrants hereby represent that they own all rights to Images.
23. The Promoter (Photography Bay) and the Website assume no responsibility and is not liable for any image misuse. The Promoter (Photography Bay) and the Website assume no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the competition, and the Promoter (Photography Bay) and the Website assume no responsibility for technical, hardware or software failure of any kind, for lost network connections, garbled computer transmissions, other problems or technical malfunctions with regard to the competition. The Promoter (Photography Bay) and the Website assume no responsibility for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alteration of Entries. The Promoter (Photography Bay) and the Website are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail addressed to the Promoter (Photography Bay) or the Website on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to Your or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the competition. If for any reason an entry cannot be viewed or is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failures, the Promoter (Photography Bay) and the Website assume no responsibility.
Promoter: Photography Bay (www.photographybay.com)
Prize provided by : Digital Imaging Europe a division of Sony United Kingdom Limited, The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0XW, United Kingdom