Reader Question: Repairing the Canon AE-1

by on April 28, 2009

in Canon

Photography Bay reader, Rick, sent in a question that I thought I would pitch to the community here. Essentially, Rick has a couple of Canon AE-1′s that are in need of professional repair. For those of you who cut your teeth in the digital realm, the Canon AE-1 is a film-based, manual focus SLR. They are still quite widely available in decent used condition.

Does anyone have a recommendation for where he can send these camera’s for some affordable repair work at a reputable shop?

Fire away with your answers in the comments below.

1 Ram April 28, 2009 at 9:02 am

Recently Ken rockwell has listed a few repairers…

Steven Swerington
Camera Clinic
55 Freeport Blvd
Sparks NV 89431-6279
steven40@aol.com
(775) 829-2244

Copied from

Disclaimer: Just passing on the information… I’m a subscriber of Ken Rockwell’s blog…

2 Roderick April 28, 2009 at 10:04 am

Where is Rick located?

3 doug cody April 28, 2009 at 10:50 am

Here’s my favorite repair shop – http://www.horizon-electonics.com

read reviews from 1999! http://photo.net/neighbor/view-one?neighbor_to_neighbor_id=58383

they’re located in the SF bay area.

4 Micah April 28, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, location is a big deal. Most major cities still have a couple repair shops left. They stick to film cameras because the manufacturers have priced them out of the dslr repair rigs.

5 Nikopon April 28, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Procirep
16, Boulevard Auguste Blanqui
75013 13ème Arrondissement Paris, Paris
01 43 36 34 34
Lien : <http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=fr&geocode=&q=procirep&sll=48.833248,2.361619&sspn=0.00685,0.019312&ie=UTF8&amp;

6 Stan Burns April 28, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I have been in the repair business for over 30 years and have literally repaired thousands of AE-1s. He can contact me if interested.

camera_repair@hotmail.com

7 rick forney April 28, 2009 at 4:14 pm

i live in Va. looking for good technician to repair my ae-1p’s. any ideas would help.

8 Richard Beels April 28, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Well, I guess it would help if I knew where poor Rick was?

If he’s in the US, I’d send it to http://www.southernexposurecamerarepair.com. Just checking the website, it seems they’re recently moved. I had my old, college days A1 repaired there last year and it’s running better now than it ever has. Big thumbs up!

9 rick forney April 29, 2009 at 11:06 am

as i stated i live in Va. Also looking for ae-1p’s trying to get lens , filters, powerwinder, flash attachments ETC. I’ve got a long term disability & the camera’s would be just the ticket for me . it would help me pass the time away! thanks to all of you for your suggestions. i’ve sent email to some of the technicians to see what they have to say. thank you, rick

10 rick forney April 29, 2009 at 11:09 am

thank you all, i live in Va, & would like to find someone to repair what i have. i also am looking for other ae-1p’s , lens; any attachments for the ae-1p cameras. thank you all for suggestions so far. i have sent email to some of the technicians that have been recommended. thank you , rick

11 Scott Paris April 29, 2009 at 11:44 am

John Titterington at JTCamera@aol.com
Absolutely reliable, absulutely professional, very inexpensive.

12 anukexpat May 21, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I’ll vouch for John Tittering too. He sells refurbs too – search for his auctions on eBay and you will get a feel for the quality of his work.