Today, Nikon announced the new 10.2 megapixel Nikon D60. Rather than creating an entirely new DSLR that’s a true “step up” from the Nikon D40x, Nikon settled on the solid 10.2 megapixel sensor that has made the D40x such a great camera and “upgraded” the rest of the camera to include next generation features like built-in sensor cleaning, built-in filter effects, Active D-Lighting (featured in the Nikon D3/D300) and 3D Color Matrix Metering II (also from the D3/D300). You can pre-order the Nikon D60 at Amazon.com. For more info, check out the press release below.
With 10.2 megapixels and remarkable compactness, the D60 offers incredible picture quality, extensive built-in dust reduction technologies and a comprehensive set of creative options.
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the D60, one of the smallest Nikon digital SLRs ever. The D60 makes it fun and easy to take breathtaking pictures while also offering plenty of features for those who want to deepen their interest in creative shooting.
With a split-second shutter response, the D60 captures pictures that cameras with longer time lags miss. Ease of use and creative options both come standard with the D60, whose exclusive Nikon technologies help deliver high-quality pictures with vibrant color and stunning, edge-to-edge detail. Such superior results are achieved through a high-resolution image sensor utilizing 10.2 megapixels, world-famous NIKKOR lenses delivering razor-sharp pictures, and many cutting-edge Nikon features to further enhance your picture-taking experience. Nikon’s advanced 3D Color Matrix Metering II ensures consistently balanced exposures for images with natural color and contrast, while Nikon’s new digital image processing concept, EXPEED, makes it possible to deliver smoother tones and more accurate colors. Nikon’s fast, quiet and precise autofocus system adds significantly to the performance of the D60, capturing exact moments with astounding clarity.
Such clarity is reinforced by Nikon’s dust reduction countermeasures. To avoid picture-degrading dust particles accumulating near the imaging sensor, the D60 comes equipped with the innovative Image Sensor Cleaning function and Nikon’s exclusive Airflow Control System. These functions both reduce dust accumulation to give you even better picture quality.
In addition to new dust reduction features, the D60 offers a variety of ways to experience more fun and creativity when taking pictures. Users can easily capture dynamic images in different shooting situations with a simple turn of the mode dial. The Retouch Menu offers even more creative excitement, letting you change your pictures into even more striking images – all fast, all simple and all without the need for a computer.
Compact and comfortable, the D60 has so much to offer: amazing picture quality, simple operation, an Integrated Dust Reduction System for clearer pictures and an extensive selection of creative features. The result: fun, fantastic and inspired pictures. The world of stunning photography is just a step away, with the Nikon D60.
Nikon D60 Feature Highlights
Superior image quality and resolution
The D60’s image sensor utilizes 10.2 megapixels to produce superb, high-quality images with incredible resolution, allowing you to make large prints, even if you only use part of an image. And thanks to EXPEED, Nikon’s unique digital image processing concept, your pictures will contain fine detail and smooth, natural tonal reproduction.
Integrated Dust Reduction System
The Airflow Control System used in the D60 leads air within the mirror box towards small ducts near the base, directing dust away from the image sensor. The Image Sensor Cleaning function also reduces dust accumulation near the sensor using specifically determined vibrations, which activate automatically or whenever the user chooses. This team of dust reduction countermeasures lets the user switch lenses confidently, taking advantage of the extensive lineup of NIKKOR interchangeable optics while worrying less about the effects of dust in the camera.
Active D-Lighting for smoother gradation
The D60’s new Active D-Lighting feature can adjust the look of the final image while you shoot. This automatic process works in the highlight and shadow areas, compensating for difficult lighting conditions and producing optimized exposures with rich, smooth detail.
Intuitive, simple operation within a compact body
The D60 is not just compact; its shape is ergonomically designed to fit in your hand naturally and comfortably. The body design is inherited from the highly regarded Nikon D40 series. The bright and clear viewfinder ensures precise composition, while the large, 2.5-in. LCD monitor displays an easy-to-use menu system with a wide viewing angle so that anyone can navigate the settings and view images with ease. The new Eye Sensor function turns off the LCD monitor when the viewfinder is used. When the user moves away from the viewfinder, the LCD monitor turns on again automatically.
The D60’s Retouch Menu offers many exclusive in-camera editing features to choose from. Use the Filter Effects option to intensify a color (Red/Green/Blue) of your choice, or try the Cross Screen feature to produce star-like lines radiating from brightly lit objects in the image. In-camera NEF (RAW) processing is also available. RAW format images are “developed” within the camera after shooting, allowing you to control specific aspects of your pictures, such as image quality, image size and white balance. With the new Stop-motion feature, a stop-motion animation (the consecutive playback of still images) can be created from a sequence of images (in JPEG format). Also included is a convenient Quick Retouch option, which enhances contrast and saturation, to improve images without using a computer. The D60’s extensive Retouch Menu increases the fun and creative freedom of using a digital SLR.
Nikon D60 Other Features
- Fast, 0.19-second power-up to respond to every photographic opportunity
- Split-second shutter response eliminates the annoyance of shooting lag
- Fast continuous shooting mode enables up to 100 JPEG images (FINE L-size or smaller) at 3 frames* per second
- Fastest frame rates achieved by choosing manual focus, rotating the mode dial to S or M and selecting a shutter speed of 1/250 s. or faster, using defaults for all other settings
- Advanced three-point AF system offers fast, efficient and precise autofocus
- Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II for ideal exposures in almost any lighting situation
- Bright and clear viewfinder with 0.8x magnification for precise composition
- Long-life rechargeable lithium-ion battery that allows up to 500 images* with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR on a single charge (*CIPA standards)
- Digital Vari-Programs that adjust camera settings automatically for scene-specific pictures – selections include Auto, Auto (Flash Off), Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up, and Night Portrait
- Manual control over shutter speed and aperture: P (Programmed Auto), S (Shutter-priority Auto), A (Aperture-priority Auto) and M (Manual)
- Built-in flash with Nikon’s dependable i-TTL flash control, supporting Auto flash, Red-eye reduction, Slow sync, Rear curtain sync and Flash exposure compensation
- Simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG basic data of the same image
- Camera setting menus can be customized to suit individual preferences
- Imprint date function prints the date of capture directly on the picture
- Electronic rangefinder display indicates the deviation from the in-focus point when using manual focus mode
- Fully compatible with AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses, that are equipped with an autofocus motor (Autofocus supported. Also compatible with most F-mount NIKKOR lenses when using manual focus mode)
- Supports the Nikon Creative Lighting System when using the SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, SB-R200 or the Wireless Close-Up Speedlight system R1C1. Offers accurate exposures via i-TTL flash
- Optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 for easy remote shutter release
- Included Nikon ViewNX software lets you share, organize and edit pictures with ease
Nikon D60 Specifications
Type Single-lens reflex digital camera
Lens mount Nikon F mount (with AF contacts)
Effective picture angle Approx. 1.5 x lens focal length (Nikon DX format)
Effective pixels 10.2 million
Image sensor 23.6 x 15.8 mm CCD sensor
Total pixels 10.75 million
Dust Reduction System Image Sensor Cleaning System, Airflow Control System, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX software required)
Image size (pixels) 3,872 x 2,592 [L], 2,896 x 1,944 [M], 1,936 x 1,296 [S]
- NEF (RAW): 12-bit compressed
- JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8), or basic (approx. 1:16) compression
- NEF (RAW)+JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
Media SD memory cards, SDHC compliant
File system DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0, DPOF (Digital Print Order Format), Exif 2.21 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras), PictBridge
Text input Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input available
Date imprint Date, Date and time, Date Counter, or none (selectable)
Viewfinder Eye-level penta-Dach mirror single-lens reflex viewfinder
Frame coverage Approx. 95 % horizontal and 95 % vertical
Magnification Approx. 0.8 x (50 mm f/1.4 lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1)
Eyepoint 18 mm (-1.0 m-1)
Diopter adjustment -1.7 to +0.5 m-1
Focusing screen Type B BriteView Clear Matte screen Mark V
Reflex mirror Quick return
Lens aperture Instant-return, electronically controlled
- AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR: All functions supported
- Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: All functions supported except autofocus
- Non-Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II and autofocus
- IX-NIKKOR and AF-NIKKOR for F3AF: Not supported
- Type D PC NIKKOR: All functions supported except some shooting modes
- AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II
- Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function
- Lens with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster: Electronic rangefinder can be used
Shutter type Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
Shutter speed 1/4,000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3 EV; Bulb, Time (optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 required)
Flash sync speed X=1/200 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/200 s or slower
Release mode Single frame, Continuous, Self-timer, Remote control (optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 required)
Frame advance rate Up to 3 fps (by selecting manual focus mode, rotating the mode dial to S or M, selecting a shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster, and using defaults for all other settings).
Self-timer Can be selected from 2, 5, 10 and 20 s duration
Metering TTL exposure metering using 420-segment RGB sensor
- Matrix: 3D color matrix metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses)
- Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8-mm circle in center of frame
- Spot: Meters 3.5-mm circle (about 2.5 % of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)
- Range (ISO 100, f/1.4 lens, 20°C/68°F) • Matrix or center-weighted metering: 0 – 20 EV
- Spot metering: 2 – 20 EV
Exposure meter coupling Combined CPU
Exposure modes Digital Vari-program (Auto, Auto [flash off], Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close up, Night portrait), Programmed auto (P) with flexible program, Shutter-priority auto (S), Aperture-priority auto (A), Manual (M)
Exposure compensation -5 to +5 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
Exposure lock Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
ISO sensitivity (Recommended Exposure Index) ISO 100 – 1,600 in steps of 1 EV. Can also be set to approx. 1 EV (ISO 3200 equivalent) above ISO 1600
Active D-Lighting Can be selected from on (auto) or off
Autofocus Nikon Multi-CAM 530 autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, 3 focus points and AF-assist illuminator (range approx. 0.5-3 m/1 ft. 8 in.-9 ft. 10 in.)
Detection range -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20°C/68°F)
- Autofocus: Single-servo AF (S), Continuous-servo AF (C), Auto-servo AF (A), Predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status in single- and continuous-servo AF
- Manual focus: Electronic rangefinder can be used
Focus point Selectable from three focus points
AF-area mode Single-point AF, dynamic-area AF, Closest subject AF
Focus lock Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
- Guide number of 12/39 (m/ft, ISO 100, 20°C/68°F) or 13/43 in manual mode (m/ft, ISO 100, 20°C/68°F)
- Auto, Portrait, Child, Close up, Night portrait modes: Auto flash with auto pop-up
- P, S, A, M: manual pop-up with button release
- TTL for digital SLR using 420-segment RGB sensor: i-TTL balanced fill-flash (with metering other than spot) and standard i-TTL flash (with spot metering) are available with built-in flash, SB-800, SB-600, or SB-400, and CPU lenses.
- Auto aperture: Available with SB-800 and CPU lenses.
- Non-TTL auto: Supported flash units include SB-800, SB-28, SB-27, SB-22S, SB-80DX, and SB-28DX
- Range-priority manual: Available with SB-800
Flash modes Front curtain sync, slow sync, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction, red-eye reduction with slow sync.
Flash compensation -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
Flash-ready indicator Lights when built-in flash or Speedlight such as SB-800, SB-600, SB-400 is fully charged, blinks after flash is fired at full output
Accessory shoe Standard ISO 518 hot-shoe contact with safety lock
Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)
- Flash Color Information Communication supported with built-in flash and CLS-compatible Speedlight
- Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-800, or SU-800 as commander
Sync terminal Hot Shoe Sync Terminal Adapter AS-15 (Optional)
White balance 8 modes (when Auto is selected, TTL white-balance with main image sensor and 420-segment RGB sensor is available), fine-tuning possible
Monitor 2.5-in., approx. 230k-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD, brightness adjustment and with automatic defeat via Eye Sensor
Playback Full frame and thumbnail (four or nine images) playback with playback zoom, stop-motion movies created with the D60, slide show, histogram display, highlights, and auto image rotation
USB interface Hi-Speed USB
Data transfer protocol: MTP, PTP
Video output Can be selected from NTSC and PAL
Supported languages Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
Battery One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9
AC adapter AC Adapter EH-5a (optional, used with optional Power Connector EP-5)
Tripod socket 1/4 in. (ISO 1222)
Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx. 126 x 94 x 64 mm (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in.)
Weight Approx. 495 g (1 lb. 1 oz.) without battery, memory card or body cap
Temperature 0-40°C (32-104°F)
Humidity Less than 85% (non condensing)
Supplied accessories (may differ by country or area) Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9, Quick Charger MH-23, USB Cable UC-E4, Rubber Eyecup DK-20, Camera Strap AN-DC1, Body Cap BF-1A, Eyepiece Cap DK-5, Accessory Shoe Cover BS-1, Software Suite CD-ROM
Optional Accessories Wireless Remote Control ML-L3, Capture NX, Camera Control Pro 2, AC Adcapter Connector EP-5, AC Adapter EH-5a, Video Cable EG-D100, Semi-Soft Case CF-DC1, Speedlight SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, R1C1
[tags]nikon, d60, review[/tags]