All the buzz is about the Canon “40D” but it just might be a 50D instead. Here’s why:
1. Canon doesn’t like 4′s. Case in point the new Canon S5 IS. Canon jumped from the S3 IS to the S5 IS. What happened to the S4 IS? Canon isn’t the only one; Fuji went from the S3 to the S5 with now S4 in between. What gives?!
2. It would get confused with the Nikon D40 and D40x. Canon and Nikon’s model numbers are confusing enough with D30, D60, 10D, 40D, 50D and everything else in between. Why do Canon and Nikon have to confuse us so?!
3. Canon wants to be sneaky. Remember the introduction of the 1D Mk III? It was a bit of a shocker because Canon Hong Kong had supposedly slipped up and posted a placemarker on its site for the 40D. They were indulging the rumor mill to keep the 1D Mk III under the radar.
4. The 5D needs a little brother. Could this be the push to full frame in the prosumer and up Canon models? I dunno. How about splitting the 5D with a higher-end 3D and a lower prosumer-level 50D?
5. The 40D has been rumored for so long, that Canon will just skip that model altogether and go right to the 50D.
Please note that this post is blatant speculation with a little bit of fun mixed in.
[tags]canon, 40d, 50d, news, rumors, dslr, digital camera[/tags]